Agnostic.com

12 11

Those who didn't evacuate before Hurricane Laura should put their name in a ziploc bag in their pocket, officials say.

Louisiana officials are warning those who didn't evacuate from mandatory zones before Hurricane Laura hit that rescue efforts won't start until the surge has passed.

"Those choosing to stay and face this very dangerous storm must understand that rescue efforts cannot and will not begin until after storm and surge has passed and it is safe to do so," the Vermilion Parish Sheriff's Office said in a statement Thursday.

"Please evacuate, and if you choose to stay and we can't get to you, write your name, address, social security number and next of kin and put it a Ziploc bag in your pocket.

Good idea. So they can identify the body.

I don't understand stubborn fools who refuse to evacuate before deadly hurricanes or wildfires.

LiterateHiker 9 Aug 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Is any one in the area of the hurricane and cannot get out? What happens if there are people who cannot afford to leave and stay somewhere else.

They probably the same people who refuse to wear masks in public.

I have a friend in Louisiana, she can't even afford her required medications most months. I sent her a hundred bucks for gas to get the hell out of there. She moved back there to be near her daughter and grandkids. SMH

@MissKathleen She got them and drove them out....she's got family near here. I met her when she lived up here and she's a good sort, just a lot of medical problems and can't afford proper care.

I guess that makes sense, if what they’re wearing during the storm has a picket and is not ripped of by the storm surge.

They will call on Jeezus to save them.

Like my dogtags works

bobwjr Level 10 Aug 27, 2020

So sad. They are causing extra problems in an already over stressed system

Too little, too late, I think...
Many are probably already dead 😞

@MissKathleen I know 😪😞

I don't understand stubborn fools who refuse to evacuate before deadly hurricanes or wildfires.

Don’t be so harsh. Not everyone has a car or resources to evacuate. 100 million people in this country are at or below the poverty line.

I didn’t watch the news closely this time but I. Previous times the government has provided buses to use to evacuate

@BudFrank I don’t know if the government did or didn’t have busses, and if they did, how many? Were the busses in walking distance for everyone? I mean, to shame people and call them fools is classist.

To start with, you're exactly right. This is a dangerous situation and people should not take any chances. Everybody be safe!

Also, why does anybody ever go anywhere without ID? It doesn't have to be official ID like a passport or driver's license or anything. But things can happen at any time -- lightning strikes, people get heart attacks and strokes. It's a lot easier to help someone(or their families) if you know who they are.
I realize that many women only carry purses, but purses get mislaid. Surely(why are you all Shirley?) a small tag can be managed.

My wife came across an older woman in a coffee shop about 20 years ago who had somehow wandered all the way into the next town from where she lived. Again, somehow, they figured out who she was(she may have had ID) so they called her son and my wife stayed with her until he could come get her.
It's not like we all have dementia, but we should all remember
NOBODY PLANS ACCIDENTS. All we can do is be as ready as we can be when they inevitably eventually come.

@MissKathleen That's a great idea. I love it. I've got a Five Wishes form on file expressing a DNR and I carry a card in my wallet saying that and that they should defer to my wife for all questions.
But I hadn't thought of the bracelet idea -- thank you.

@MissKathleen Thanks again. My mobile phone has an ICE icon on the center page. Lol.

@MissKathleen Yeah it's not something to rely on for me either. It's just there because the phone is a natural place for EMTs to look. Ha, ha I guess.

And write it on their arm in magic marker

Stubborn people—“if I had only known...”
That’s why it’s important to listen to experts. Because they know stuff.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:528383
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.