Agnostic.com

13 5

Christianity

So I have always wondered, today I went to the store to get milk and cream and the owners of the store are Korean. I asked them what the majority religion is in Korea, and they told me, Christianity. I got to thinking, do their Christian churches in Korea have pictures of white jesus hanging in them, or is it a Korean Jesus? Then I thought of Africa, where all the churches there that are attended by 99% black people, have a picture of white jesus hanging up in the church, how racist is that?

WasagaGeeK 4 Apr 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think north korea is strict atheist

Jesus should have scales and a long tail. IMO. Lol.

Jewish people native to the Middle East have never had white skin although they are classified as Caucasian. That is a Northern European (read that as white) construct.

I googled Jesus images. There are a lot - mostly white guys. This is apparently 1970's Kenny Loggins Jesus lol

MsDee Level 5 Apr 8, 2018

There are paintings of a black jeebus in some african churches.

A More Accurate Depiction Of Jesus?

Coldo Level 8 Apr 8, 2018

Missionaries suck.

And the only race I've not seen him portrayed as is Jewish.

Which is....well What it is

[goo.gl]

Very however I have traveled extendsively and have seen many different types of jesus displayed as it seems they all just adopt their society to represent him.

The real irony, is that the bible says jesus was dark as ebony and his hair was liek lambs wool, so Jesus was likely of African acentry, even if his parents were of the Jewish faith.

In China there is a Jewish colony settled several hundred years ago, but today they all look Chinese.

Most of the first religious statures were repurposed Greek and Roman statues. So many of the first depictions of Mary were actually originally statues of Athena. After that it was very easy to recast jesus as looking liek a white European.

Coorection: My mistake. I was thinking of a bible quote I read a long time ago in Alice Walker's book "The Color Purple" I got it wrong. It was skin of Bronze. I should have verified before the original post.

Where in the bible does it say that Jesus looked like that? Im looking and I can’t find it. Could you provide a reference pelase?

Yes , source material needed

@Christiep77 My mistake. I was thinking of a bible quote I read a long time ago in Alice Walker's book "The Color Purple" I got it wrong. It was skin of Bronze. I should have verified before the original post.

@buzz13 My mistake. I was thinking of a bible quote I read a long time ago in Alice Walker's book "The Color Purple" I got it wrong. It was skin of Bronze. I should have verified before the original post.

@Davidthinks LMAO....

Well, white people are responsible for the spread of christianity throughout the world.
Interestingly enough, the accepted visage of Jesus Christ bears a remarkable resemblance
to Cesare Borgia, son of Rodrigo Borgia, who became Pope Alexander VI. It is widely believed
that Machiavelli's "The Prince" is based on Cesare. So, Jesus is basically portrayed as an
Italian white guy. Typical.

I've seen a handful of variations. Not Korean though. They don't seem to be hung up on what he looks like.

I disagree with you only in so much as what the bible said about Jesus' looks. That verse about ebony and hair like lamb's wool comes out of the OT. This means it cannot be applied to Jesus in any way because he has not been born yet. Believers do this same thing when they compare Daniel, Isiah, and Revelation. They are making up a story because they think their bible is one continuous and compatible history. It certainly is not.

@DenoPenno Verses about JC in the Old Testiment? Forgive my ignorance but this seems contradictory. Is this a prophesy or something?

@Hicks66 Daniel 7:9 and later Revelation 1:14. All of it is prophesy. Some of the writings were before his time and some much after. There are no eyewitness accounts. None at all.

@DenoPenno I wonder how much controversy Islam has avoided by banning depictions of their prophet.

If there was such a man in the Middle East he was not white. Europeans turned him white.

Baffling

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:53021
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.