Agnostic.com

7 9

Oregon Wildfires Are Decimating Homes Near Me And I’m Terrified About What’s Next

By Emily Halnon

I think foolishly of my last run through the wilderness around Oregon’s Mount Jefferson, a mountain north of us that’s currently engulfed in flames. On that day, a storm obscured the views of its most scenic spots, where alpine meadows spill into sweeping views of the glaciated volcano.

“It’s OK, it’s not like it’s going anywhere,” I told my friend, as we darted through the rain and clouds. “I’ll see it next time.”

Now we’re inhaling shards of the trees that once dotted that iconic landscape.

But I know things will get worse without aggressive climate action. I know more go bags will get packed. More homes will be decimated. More wilderness will be singed. And more lives will be unnecessarily lost ― unless we do something to stop it.

"Make sure your cell phone is turned way up at night,” my firefighting friend advised me when I asked her if I should start packing a bag myself, as I watched the evacuation zones spread across the county map like spilled paint ― sometimes going from green to red in less than two hours.

“And, yes, it wouldn’t be a bad idea to have a bag ready,” she said.

[huffpost.com]

LiterateHiker 9 Sep 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'd already have the car packed as much as possible. Sometimes it's down to minutes to get out.

Be prepared and think ahead,,certainly hope you do not have to

@RoyMillar

This is an excellent, updated smoke report:

[tools.airfire.org]

Yes i checked it out and saw south Vancouver Island and vancouver are getting a ot of the smoke also

If it were me, I would be calling my friends and relatives who do not live near the fires and find out if any of them had the space to accommodate me. And if someone had the space, I would head there ASAP.

@MyTVC15

There's no escape.

This is an excellent, updated smoke report:

[tools.airfire.org]

@LiterateHiker Thanks for the link to the map, it is the best I have been able to see.

During fire season here I have friends who move their pets and essentials to my place so that if they need to leave they can just up and run.

@LiterateHiker My brother is leaving Seattle tomorrow for Massachusetts, so I hope he is able to find a route through it all.

Our area burnt 9 years ago in the wallow fire and we were evacuated for about 10 days. Now both last night and this morning the sun was barely visible here in Arizona. It is so sickening to see all the places I love being consumed. Stay as safe as you can and keep us posted.

gearl Level 8 Sep 13, 2020

It’s tough there. We’re watching hurricanes and fires. Lots of people need help on both sides.

Having relatives who lost all but what they could grab on the run out, pack now and decide how close it has to get for you to evacuate. When they knock on your door, it might be too late for either. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but my cousins have so much regret. Treat it like a hurricane evac. Leave on your own and choose how/to where, or wait for mandatory evac with jammed highways. Plan for the worst, hope for the best, unpack everything if the drill proves unnecessary. As to the long game... sadly, moving until a shift away from global warming occurs might be a wise thing to do. I sincerely wish you all the best in this awfulness.

Zster Level 8 Sep 13, 2020

This makes me so sad. Be safe.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:533818
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.