Agnostic.com

18 8

LINK Does God want Christians to be a ‘good guy with a gun’?

Fear, simple fear is the culprit here. No matter what piece of scripture one can draw from. There are no "good guys" or "bad guys" with guns. There are only good and bad murders. I find it funny that the second amendment shits on the first commandment? Is not our goal as human beings is to work towards a peaceful existence that could be 80% intelligence based? On the road to Utopia?

IAJO163 8 Sep 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

"God" strangely enough always seems to want the same things as the money grabbing asshat who is insisting that "god" exists; which usually involves bank accounts and credit card numbers being freely given to some "Holy" prick in a $20,000 suit.

Surely, if somebody wants to shoot and kill you, there is nothing you can do about it, except to kill them first. Which makes you a murderer unless you can prove that they intended to kill you. If they weren't pointing a gun at you, how do you prove that? If they were pointing a gun at you, they have shot you before you have your own gun out. So, where is the point in carrying a gun?

I made a video about Christians and guns that makes a very simple and surprising conclusion.

The inside word is that god n geezus actually prefer very large thermonuclear weapons with mutating capacity. It's hard to convince a gun not to put his gun down. 🙄

Notice the one voice not in the discussion? Yahweh. So all you have is people subjectively speaking for what they imagine a god would endorse or not.

You have just described all religion!

Cool! If I read some "be loving" verses to gun-toters they will listen?

No

This reminded me of Moses and the Ten commandments. Moses went up on Mount Sinai to get the commandments. One of the 10 commandments is “Thou shalt not kill”. What did Moses do after he received the 10 commandments and went down to the people. He ordered 3000 people killed because of worshiping the Golden calf.

What is a “good guy?”

In Numbers 15, a man is found working on the Sabbath. God orders him to be killed and he is stoned.

The Isralites war against Midian, and "slew every male". They take captive the women and children, and take all cattle, flocks and goods as loot, and burn all cities and camps.

Joshua conquers the city of Jericho. The city is burned, and apart from Rahab's family, every person, ox, sheep and donkey is killed (Joshua 6).

Samuel commands Saul "Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not; but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ass" (1 Samuel 15:3)

Jesus states that he comes to bring fire or a sword

Were the people who obeyed this god, “good guys?” Were these good murders because god commanded them or bad murders because innocent people died?.

gearl Level 8 Sep 17, 2020

Don’t forget about the children that were killed when they laughed at the prophet Elijah in the Bible

@abyers1970
Yup apparently calling someone "baldy" is sinful enough for the "loving" god of the bible to summon up a she bear and kill 42 children.

Christians can ultimately justify their actions. And almost all the time, they use the Bible to back them up! How many times have I heard...’the devil made me do it?’ Poor people, is all that I can say...their kind of believing has outlasted the ‘truth’...so I will just deal with them, knowing that their actions are unknown to them, at a deep introspective level!

How about these passages from KJV of the Bible:

Psalm 86:15 But thou, O Lord, art a God full of compassion, and gracious, long suffering, and plenteous in mercy and truth.

Ephesians 4:2 With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love

2 Corinthians 6:6 By pureness, by knowledge, by long suffering, by kindness, by the Holy Ghost, by love unfeigned

I don't see any "good guy with a gun" in any of these passages, and references in the Bible to "the sword" is not an actual weapon but the scriptures - the Word. No guns anywhere and early Christians were encouraged to become martyrs rather than to resist - as in turn the other cheek. Today's Christians have warped their faith into becoming bullies and killers in defense of Jesus who instructed them to do otherwise - to do good to those who hate them and to love their enemy. The "good guy with a gun" fits none of these instructions.

"Let he who has no sword, sell his garment and buy one."

@dahermit - I suppose this passage in Luke is what someone like "Christian MAGA “prophet” Mark Taylor" uses to make his threats against Democrats.

[deadstate.org]

On a windy day, ask the wind that hits your ears.

In my honest opinion, there are NO such thing as "Good" and "Bad" murders, there ARE only murders and murderers and as such, the taking of the life of a living, sentient human being for whatever reason is 1,000.000+ % WRONG no matter how you choose to paint it.
How many more times must we be forced to bear with hearing that piss -poor excuse of " God told me to do it" when some scum-bag takes a life away from someone else?
"God told me to do it," is nothing more than a feeble attempt to circumvent the Law by offering a "Get Out Life in Prison in the hope of only doing 10 - 20 years" card with a religious bias added in for extra measure.
IF they were, as they claim, Christians then they would know that the Commandments state clearly " Thou shalt NOT Kill."
Ergo, imo, this negates completely any and all excuses for Christians carrying fire-arms, imo.

I shit in the first few commandments too, so what? Let christians deal with their lunacy and spare us from inane questions dealing with non-existent imaginary entities and the stupid books they read.

Only in the USA. No other so called christian country has its citizens carrying guns.

Research has generally shown gun buyback programs have a positive result, although, perhaps not necssarily what we would expect.
[journalistsresource.org]

They also don’t have mass shootings every other week either.

@SeaRay215ex Or month, or year.

@RussRAB The only people who turn in their guns are people that don't want them . The red necks won't the criminals won't . It would save some lives from accidents , suicide and theft .

@Besalbub - Did you look at the article I included?

"On their own, buybacks might not be effective if the goal is to use them to directly reduce violent crime. But research shows buybacks can help if they’re part of a broader effort to reduce gun violence. They can influence public perception of how authorities are dealing with gun violence and serve as opportunities to educate communities about gun violence reduction strategies, according to academic researchers."

I believe the statistics show that about two thirds of gun deaths are suicides, and attempted suicides result in death something like 80% of the time when a gun is used as opposed to something like 5% of the time when drug OD are the method used. If you reread my comment, I did say that the positive effects of buyback programs are not necessarily in the areas we would expect.

I understand that your intention is to open discussion, and while that's usually a
pretty good idea, at this point it just feels like banging one's head against a wall.

I agree that fear is usually always the most likely culprit, and the 2nd Amendment most
definitely runs counter to the 1st commandment.
However, the stubborn insistence to believe that "god wants" anything just plays into the
entire cognitive dissonance of belief in any deity, particularly the christian god.
I think most of the time people who believe are grasping at straws to make any "argument"
for their continued beliefs, rather than accept they've been brainwashed into believing a
load of garbage. To do that, they would have to accept that whatever "meaning" they may
have attributed to their lives is just make-believe. Most people are just emotionally incapable
of that.

As for believing in the goal of humanity to live a "peaceful existence" based on intelligence,
I do not. I think that's just another delusion many have been brainwashed into believing.
It would be nice, of course, but the reality is that it's just not going to happen.
Utopia is just as much a fairy tale as gods are.

This guy is not Christian, pro-democracy, pro-real law and order, moral, or patriotic.

Not a gun, but a sward as Jesus character is quoted as saying:

Matthew 10:34 “Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.”

Word Level 8 Sep 16, 2020

And that is exactly what Abrahamic religions have done. Believers cannot see this because only their group has the right religion.

I love how they speak for God. If God is so almighty he should speak for himself.

That is exactly what I use to preach...’if god is everything, all the time, why did he only speak to the people of old!’ ‘Why can’t he speak to people now?’ Ofcourse, I no longer even bother to preach (lol) there are more important things to do, than hash the age old question of scriptures from people’s thoughts!

@Freedompath The people of old were lying and nonexistent beings don't speak.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:534732
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.