Agnostic.com

38 2

What do you all think of Pascal's Wager?

I still consider myself an agnostic atheist. I can't accept the validity of Bible stories, but I still wrestle with the idea of end-time prophecies possibly coming true and living in terror of "what if I'm going to hell?" And I'd try to accept a god just to avoid hell, even he is evil.

Biblebeltskeptic 6 Sep 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

38 comments (26 - 38)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

What good is it if you say that you believe and yet in the depth of your heart you don't? Do think that God wouldn't know?

I don't believe in hell and I don't believe there is a god. Pascal's Wager has no effect on me.

Deb57 Level 8 Sep 17, 2020

It's right up there with being frozen in terror as a valid post death survival strategy.

If you don't believe in the bible or its stories, how is it that you believe there is a hell?

The ark is definitely mythical, and all OT stories and even the unbelievable book of Revelations. But the odds of some of these "signs" lining up...

@Biblebeltskeptic. Have you in your studies and research ever examine other cultures and believe systems end of the world predictions?
People have been predicting the end of the world for centuries and we're still here. If you believe that we are in the end days as predicted in Revalation then are you saying that Jesus is on his way back?
Because that is the end results and purpose of the prediction.

Have you actually read the description of "Heaven"?? Singing praises & worshipping 24/7/365 for forever?
Scared the bejeezus right outta me!

The biblical prophesy laws requiring identification for taxation and government control us written as metaphor mark of the beast-666. It has come to pass.

Word Level 8 Sep 18, 2020

Should we pray to the extension cord if we are afraid of Zeus?

How about after dieing you spend eternity in a Walmart? How would you prepare?

Sweatpants and slippers

It’s a suckers bet. House always wins.

I was once seriously helped by a psychic community. That's a long and personal story. I ended up having a few experiences of my own. That's another story. What they professed was that there is no such thing as original sin, nor hell. That we are all deserving of happiness. That we are in charge of our destiny. But as we think, it shall be. If we believe in hell, and think of hell, we shall have hell. Our thoughts direct our lives.Sometimes, when life gets tough, it's hard to think good thoughts. That's the challenge especially when we have been made afraid of hell. There is no hell except in our minds. Oust it!!!!!! Tell it to get the hell OUT!!!! Replace it with beautiful things. That requires some effort, but do it!!!!! That's my sermon for today (ha).

For a person who is not sure if there is a god or not, and who is concerned about the issue, accepting Pascal's wager is a safe bet.

The Cafeteria Option ought to work instead. Cherry pick the commandments you like to fit your religion/ beliefs ( Start your own Sect !! )

This serves the purpose not of serving the lord, but of having the lord serve you ! ( and some people want to claim that atheists self worship .....Oh Boy)

twill Level 7 Sep 17, 2020

I think the wager is an example of hypocrisy. You can't just believe something at will. You have to make yourself believe it, based on the knowledge that at best it only MIGHT be true, but for personal gain (or avoiding personal loss, however you choose to view it). It is not sincere belief. It is conscious self-deception. If there was a god (not something i waste time contemplating) and he was good, is it likely he would reward a hypocritical suck-up? And if there was a god and he was evil, do you really think he would keep his end of the implied bargain no matter what you did or thought?

g

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:534961
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.