Agnostic.com

4 2

Society seems to venerate the rich, but is great wealth generation really creating the results that we want? I’m not American, but they will be impacting more on the UK with Brexit I imagine, and to be frank, this scares me!

Article about book on US monopolies: [newrepublic.com]

Article on the US media, (quite old but still relevant): [ohio.edu]ethics/2001-conferences/the-ethical-implications-of-monopoly-media-ownership/index.html

Jill Long Thompson thinks more ethics should exist in Government, unfortunately I’m not sure if Trump read her book:
[blog.kelley.iu.edu]

girlwithsmiles 8 Sep 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think this goes a long way in explaining it:

Sad, probably true.

Money talks, poor people walk. There have been very few times in human evolution where there was anything even close to wealth sharing. The closest I can think of was in the aftermath of WW II, when the wealthy were paying close to 90% tax and manpower shortages and the devastation of much of the world caused wages to provide a high standard of living for the working class here in the USA.
But it didn’t last, because greed is a driving factor in the human psyche and those who have the most always want more. And as they accumulate wealth, they accumulate power to control their governments, until you have a jackass wealthy con man gets elected president (or in your case, prime minister) and at some point those at the bottom rise up and all hell breaks loose. And when the dust settles, another group of thieves takes over without people even noticing (just look at the French Revolution).

It’s time to change that greed thing. There were also lots of saying during the war years like, ‘waste not want not’ that we could probably do with revisiting.

Like many things, great wealth is a mixed bag. For example, Elon Musk and Tesla are transforming the world to green technologies, while Exon has fought a greedy disgusting war to stop green tech. Most billionaires are greedy control freaks with few concerns about the environment or humanity.

From what I’ve seen about Musk, he is certainly not worker friendly.

@Barnie2years I checked reviews on glassdoor.com. Facebook was significantly better reviewed than Tesla, Exxon, General Motors, and Wells Fargo. The latter three were reviewed about the same as Tesla. Your criticism seems fair. However, I would much rather work for Tesla than any of the other four companies mentioned herein.

Yes, we may know that, (wealth is a mixed bag), but it seems to be portrayed as the ultimate goal, by some, to be acheived at all costs, so some don’t consider how their money is invested or the real cost of the so called cheap products. Working hard, getting promotions, starting companies seem to be great goals with living a life that you’re proud of, being a good, partner, father, or community member; these all seem to come second. Anyway I’m sure you know where I’m coing from!
Yes, the electric battery revolution is exciting and so are other sustainable energy options, non polluting options for building, low VOC options for interior design. It’s a really exciting time to be an innovator 🙂

@girlwithsmiles The greed and control seem to be part of our mating rituals. Some beautiful women go for guys with the most resources, exemplified by a new sports car. It is important for the species that children have good chances of survival; in other words, mothers take care of their children by selecting men with resources.

Can we, humanity, overcome our penchant for great power and wealth? It's unlikely. However, I am curious about one possibility that may modify our behavior in some positive ways; though, potential negatives are usually bandied. Suppose women and children were given a stipend by the government to provide food, clothing, shelter and medical care. Would this guarantee of a simple lifestyle minimize humanity's greed?

The death of antitrust laws preceded Donald Trump's ascension to power by quite a bit. As you said the Ohio.edu paper is quite old and this is nothing new. We are doomed in that regard. We won't see any change in my lifetime, if ever.

I hope we do, but do believe that it will be led by individuals making better choices, throughout all walks of society; business leaders and owners to minimum wage earning consumers.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:535178
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.