Agnostic.com

101 8

What is the one creature, snake, spider, rodent, bat, etc, that creeps you out the most?

When I was around 8 years old I watched an episode of Alfred Hitchcock in black and white on TV. A man was tied up and they showed rats crawling all over him and they were going to eat him. It messed me up and to this day rats are the only creature that really creeps me out.

ebdb 7 Apr 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

101 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Zero legs: cool
Four legs: good
Six legs: fine
Eight legs: NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE

We can ill afford another Klendathu:

Cockroaches. The are even scarier when you squash them.

@Johnsalterego agghhh, you just made my skin crawl, they really freak me out.

@Johnsalterego ha ha! Yes! I was in the army and two of my big manly friends were in his bedroom and then suddenly came tearing out of the room screaming like two little girls. A cockroach had flown at his bed they were sitting on!

Cockroahes. I can't even stand to see them on television.

I'm the "creepy creature lady" a the local nature center; I go in on the weekends and teach about snakes,bats,frogs,turtles,and tarantulas - obviously none of those give me the creeps. The nature center just put 2 scorpions out on display, that's where I draw my line!!!
I'm sure, after I do some research on them I probably won't be so frightened of them anymore, but I was told the 2 on display are for "looking at only: they're aggressive & they STING!" - so at least I won't have to overcome my fear so quickly; I'm not going to have to hold them/demo them for the public whew!

I have been known to share my apartment with Huntsman Spiders, they get very large, are harmless, and you can often encourage them on to your hand and out the door! Like any spider, if it rears up it can bite, which is not as bad as a bee sting, however they seem to realize if the bite they could get squashed! (they don't seem to realize they are pretty safe if they do, you would have to repaint the wall! Once outside they are fascinating to watch, as they immediately try to hide from birds, they would make a nice meal for a Magpie or a Kookaburra!

Humans..

But they are beautiful to look at!

@Spinliesel - Agreed. That's what makes them so frustrating, among other things..

ticks

Ticks suck, I have to check my body daily for them after work :/

None. I see the beauty in all things -- even rocks. If any creature approaches me, I simply remove it to a different location.

When I see a spider in the bathtub .. (oh yes, the window is open without a screen, to the garden, so they gain access) I take a dish towel and pick it up gentle, so not to hurt, take it outside and bid it farewell ..I can't kill ! My father always said: ' If you like to live, so do other creatures, don't kill"

Spiders.

BD66 Level 8 Apr 9, 2018

Spiders, especially tarantulas. When I was a boy there was an abandoned house behind mine. It came down because new construction was going to start. It was FULL of tarantulas and they spread as they had no home. We lived in Puerto Rico and the weather is always hot but we had to keep the windows shut or they would come in the house. The situation lasted about 2-3 years and nature took care of them. Some were huge, like a tambourine. The females are much bigger than the males. I have horror stories on insects and arthropods. They had huge fangs

Wow, although they are harmless actually, would still give one the creeps. I had an encounter with a Scorpion .. a relative small one. Walked my German Shepherd and she suddenly stopped with her nose to the ground. The Scorpion was ready to attack he .. so I pulled her away and the the 'beast' came at me. I walked away and it followed me .. it was a bit unnerving, so I took a stick and kept moving it back .. boy was that thing mad. I ended up grabbing the leach and ran away ....but living in Georgia was hell as they must be the insect and roach haven of the world. They were as large as my thumb. It's funny, I can pick up June bugs and love the beautiful green glittering beetles . but these 'tanks' were unholy.

Snakes, especially talking ones. Earwigs,

None of them....am fascinated by how animals (including humans) behave.

There are more things in the heaven and Earth, Horatio
then are dreamt of in your philosophy.

Rather than seeing that as limiting, I see it as an affirmation that we need to keep exploring and learning.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents

On an aesthetic level, scorpions are the lowest of the low. I mean really. Pincers and a stinger? That's the very incarnation of paranoia. Solifuges are a close second. That's only because they lack the stinger.

My worst experience .. SCORPION

Nothing really does. I have a healthy respect for animals and insects that could bite me/cause disease or a reaction etc. but nothing really creeps me out.

Snakes, why does it have to be snakes!

BillF Level 7 Apr 9, 2018

lol, cause your Indiana!

Humans but in particular, politicians and clergeymen.women.

Why did you put us in there with the 'altered consciousness', people? We get our's naturally from nature...like you do.

Spiders, dude. That is what shoes were invented for. Crush them out of existence.

I'll help you

Be careful stepping on spiders. My sister smashed one once and a thousand baby spiders exploded onto and around her foot. The stuff of nightmares.

That is sad ..

@FinchiMcQ Excellent. My ex and I developed a code. It involved saying in a certain tone "come over here" - which was code for the fact there was a big assed huntsman spider on the wall behind the other one. And then the shoe would come out...

@Redbud A neighbour once splatted a big huntsman spider with a shoe; she misjudged the blow and it exploded in her face. She never really got past that...

Bugs!

I have to concur on spider creepiness. The way their legs move, the fact that they can jump, climb, fall on you, their eyes and fangs. I am just relieved most of the spiders where I live aren't very big. I don't agree we should kill them though. They are highly beneficial and essential for a healthy ecosystem.

Those long things with lots & lots & lots of legs...they are Aware of our presence! After 30+ years I had to get an exterminator...they run across ceilings, but sometimes fall off...if one ever fell on me, heart-attack time!

I can handle all of the above. What creeps me out most are octopus and squid. Just thinking about those tentacles freak me out.

Spiders. Hate 'em.

Deb57 Level 8 Apr 9, 2018

That is traumatic. Durn Hitchcock.

Caped crusaders wearing black witches hats telling cheesy jokes?
Only joking ?

Republicans!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:53524
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.