Agnostic.com

17 7

Do you think religious trauma gets taken seriously?

Is religious trauma being overlooked by mental health professionals in the US? I know I have had trouble in the past finding a therapist capable of recognizing a narcissistic parent or religious trauma. Is this common in larger cities as well?

SlewSuffer 4 Sep 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If you were raised in a faith that worships an omnipotent, omnipresent, omniscient being--the denial of whom would result in your burning in a lake of fire--you likely experienced a degree of tension, if not genuine stress, as you fought your way out of the brambles of superstition into the open meadow of free thought. The fear of punishment at the hands of an immense personality who supposedly knows you better than you do yourself has led many to seek counseling. And in all-too-many religious settings, leaving the faith is easier than the backlash often experienced at the hands of family and friends--such rejection may be the most traumatic aspect of becoming a nonbeliever.

Very few therapists boldly practice RET from Albert Ellis Atheist school for Rational Emotive Therapy. Zero Universities on this planet endow chairs for Atheism or the genuine condemnation of all alleged deities and irrational faiths pregnant with magical thinking..... however your dualism implied by narcissists inflicting religious trauma leaves out the likelihood MANY Atheists are narcissists inflicting emotional harm upon children or anyone for that matter. AYN RAND was the founder of the Objectivist cult worshipping money/greed/consumerism or monopolist economics and Alice was a sexual predator harming mentoree Nathaniel Brandon his wife Barbara and husband Frank O'Connor..... religious trauma is both criminal violating bodily SOVEREIGNTY and well as the most extreme emotional AND FINANCIAL abuse of victims
....sexual mutilations of baby boys and teen girls is PROTECTED BY LAW instead of universal condemnation as is cannibalism or rape

What you are asking about is very common if you have a therapist who is also a believer. Therapy is good if you can afford it. Make sure your therapist is agnostic or atheist so you can deal with real issues. Otherwise, it is all a waste of time and money.

No, not hardly.

I think there's absolutely a problem with therapists in the US not taking religious trauma seriously. I also think there's been some improvement in this regard over the years.There's a book, Leaving the Fold: A Guide for Former Fundamentalists and Others Leaving Their Religion by Marlene Winell that may be helpful. It is about Religious Trauma Syndrome; you may be able to find free resources on the topic online. There's also the Secular Therapy Project - you may get very lucky and find a therapist nearby, or at least be able to find one that can work with you through Skype or Zoom sessions. Payment is likely to be the biggest struggle there, since... the US.

I have so far not had any bad experiences with therapists, even regarding religion, but also I've mostly worked with therapists I know are secular or who specifically work for an organization that caters to queer people, many of whom have had traumatic experiences with religion due to being queer (I was lucky enough not to realize the queer layers of my identity until after escaping religion, but there's so many who weren't...)

Source? Link? Can't comment on US based only on your experience.

It is all over the U.S. Hyper Religiosity is not recognized here. The mental trauma from religion is ignored in the culture.

I have found fewer people going into psychology in these later years. This may have a connection to there being more narcissistic personalities than normal. A person must care about other people and themselves. What I see is that narcissus, do not ‘care’ so much about themselves as they attempt to feed a hungry wolf in their nature. How world they relate to anyone, seeking understanding of their inner-nature?

I found psychotherapist that I could work with, in shorter and shorter supply over the last several years. You must keep looking and reading non-fiction books on how the brain works and our development in childhood is helpful. Best of luck,

Religion can be just another tool in the toolbox of a narcissist. Religion itself isn’t necessarily traumatic—if one is brought up religious, then it’s something you outgrow, or don’t. No harm, no foul.

AoR, and KKGator, bad religion is trauma causing and good religion (the existence of which I am not particularly asserting) might not be, or be less so.

I witnessed religion morphing. I can critique it to its proponents to their faces because I saw how. One can sit through something. And later find oneself a wreck (like me) or not even find oneself at all. Never feel obligated. Earlier, we knew how to take not taking it seriously seriously. That's long since gone though.

Never package deal. Always go cafeteria. These developments are not just a trend in mindsets. It's in the core of these phenomena.

And in many subcultures, religions were already bad while what I at first witnessed was still halfway good. I'm only not completely destroyed because my family took an unusually deep yet detached and relaxed view anyway. I actually thought it is normal to have a unique viewpoint. What retains the same label doesn't stay true to itself. Those in charge move the goal posts to wrongfoot ordinary folk.

I never thought a "god" had to make demands. I always realised it was the interpretation an authority put on the situation that constituted the demand. At one time they were frank and relaxed about this. Later on they are reifying. One has to roleplay. One has to fake it to fake oneself. I didn't understand quick enough. I don't see any denominations that have escaped.

I walked out of something that is Scientology crossed with Love Island (complete with suicides). I walked out.

@HenAgnDon I agree with you. Don’t get me wrong—any abuse in the guise of religion is always abuse. I only meant the kind of religion I and others have experienced—sitting in a pew, singing, and going home. Any abuse, of which I’m sorry you experienced, is always traumatic, and treatment should definitely be sought. Good luck to you, friend.

@AgeofReason Yes I didn't think you two disagreed with this, I was just expanding. This site has been part of the treatment, and surprising things have been too. Like a comedy video about carpet offcuts. Some religions have been feeding people leftovers. And books by Judith Herman, Ian Haworth, Janja Lalich, Alexandra Stein. I don't feel inferior, I was exploring! "My" movement liked to spin out the melodrama (and it's not safe to give a lot of detail), to try and prove that we deserved it. I think they are the losers wasting the butt end of their lives still at it. I gave them hardly any money and got them to subsidise me on a nice trip a couple of times. They are disappointed because they have fewer members now . . . I expect half the people at this forum have a similar tale. I shan't be in the mood for letting off steam, most days. I tell myself, welcome to planet earth, it was like this all along. If we survive life we survive life. Let's just give ourselves ordinary unsensational reasons to hold our heads up. It actually seems to be normal, to only understand how to tackle life once we're old. I see from the portraits nearly all of us have the grey beard and glasses . . . I think most of my family were good-ish in religion terms but there was probably one dodgy grandparent, the husband of one aunt, and one neighbour who had bad religion.

Probably too many believers

bobwjr Level 10 Sep 18, 2020

I went to a group therapy meeting (for depression) one time and a woman complained about her boyfriend pushing creationism on her. That got me furious and I started spouting out He has no right preaching to you!!! Creationism is bullshit! Then the therapist turned to me and said she believes in it too... That was my first and last group therapy meeting. 😂

Religion is considered so sacrosanct that it has to be a small minority religion to get the title "cult" attached to it before mental health will tackle the problem.
It's like killer T cells letting a cancer grow because it doesn't recognize the cancer as a threat.
Yes, I AM comparing religion to a tumor in an unflattering way, because they are so very similar.

How should we know?

No it doesn't. Honestly very little mental trauma gets taken seriously. The VA is still lagging way behind on PTSD. There is a mental health epidemic in the US and people don't take any of it seriously enough.

I think in the more obvious aspects of religious abuse, trauma is recognized and treated appropriately by mental health professionals. I think maybe the more subtle aspects of religious indoctrination, dogma, etc., that lead to feelings of shame and guilt are not so fully accepted. But, to be fair, there's a huge difference between being told masturbation is a sin and being sexually molested by a priest. One has better-defined edges than the other.

For religious trauma to be recognized as the real mental affliction that it absolutely is, it will also have to be accepted that religious beliefs are harmful to the general populace.
Most especially harmful to children.

What do you think the odds of that happening really are?

I think religion is the biggest contributor to childhood trauma. It's not taken seriously enough.

@VeronicaAnn I never pass up an opportunity to criticize religion, even if it's only partially true.

@K9Kohle789 How about choir boys who were molested by priests. Do you think they were traumatized?

@K9Kohle789 But it was a cult mentality

@K9Kohle789 Yes in practice they can merge into each other.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:535376
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.