Agnostic.com

2 1

LINK Survival of the Fittest vs. Natural Selection

ThoughtCo on comparing 'survival of the fittest' and natural selection

Hages 7 Sep 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

From the article: “Students who are first learning about evolution and natural selection should avoid using the term until they have a deeper knowledge of the subject.” I consider the concept of “survival of the fittest” to be pretty straightforward. I don't think it takes long to grasp the meaning of this phrase and use it correctly. I certainly understand that my father probably doesn't understand the distinction, but, to be fair, he never studied evolution in his schooling. The general population has a gap in their basic scientific literacy, and they misunderstand the scientific usage of words like "fittest" and "theory," but I don't think that's typical of first-year biology students. I hope that's not the case, anyway, or we're a lot worse off than when I was in school.

Its a common misunderstanding which can not be highlighted enough. It is very important to be accurate, otherwise you make gifts to creationists and the like.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:535886
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.