Agnostic.com

35 6

If God made himself known to you one day and said, "You must sacrifice the life of your child for me" what would you do?

You have been convinced this is God telling you this.

paul1967 8 Apr 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

35 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I would throw the knife at him.

@Stacey48. Stacey, It is tragic for me to say such a thing. But At one time I might of considered to even do what god asks. I was brainwashed and in fear. I watched those demon movies on TV and was told that this was a documented event. I believed this shit. It controlled me more from fear then a loving god. This loving god was suppose to protect the inacent and keep bad things from happening. I noticed nothing like this was happening. I read up on how man was using god to get what they wanted. I came across James Randi on utube and my whole attitude changed. I am so angry and I would feel comfortable slapping a preacher across the head if he confronted me with bullshit from the bible. I've learned that there's no ghosts, spirits, devels, demons, and a fucking god.

@Stacey48 Stacey, I'm angry that humanity still believes and allows this stuff to happen to people. It's ok to scam me out of my money and abuse my kids with this crap. Yep... I'm angry sometimes. Yes... it was an interesting time in my life too.

Get really fucking high and wait it out a bit to se if he fucked off again!

Haha. Maybe thats why fundamentalists have a problem with marijuana. Makes you too chill to do psycho gawds bidding

@Blindbird Haha!!! Never thought of that.. Fun da mentalists .. emphasis on mentalist ! Sure most of those people are truly delusional .. have to be really !!

Not sure anyone could say with certainty what they would do given the line you added, "you are convinced this is God"

My initial reaction is to reject the thought experiment as it's founded on a faulty premise, but to entertain the question there would be a series of questions necessary:

Why should I sacrifice my child?
What is the reward or punishment for compliance or non-compliance?
What is the proof that you are God?
Is my child my real life child, or am I Hitler's dad?

just to name a few...

Anything appearing to me telling me sacrifice my child I would say no, be it "god" or someone with a gun to my head - the answer is no

MrHIT Level 5 Apr 9, 2018

Wouldn't it be just a lot simpler to tell him to piss-off? He's a monster for asking me to do it. If I'm Hitler's dad then you're God you do it. I would still tell him to piss off, but I would spend more time teaching my child tolerance.

@paul1967 that's a thought. I find it more informative and entertaining to ask questions and gather information first though instead of just telling someone to piss off.

Get the fuck out of my face. You are an illusion.

It does have to be an illusion, but I would still take a minute to tell my illusion to go F%#$ himself.

Being convinced you hear God's voice in you head is a sign of schizophrenia. Interesting point - how many Bible stories are really about mental health issues?

jeffy Level 7 Apr 9, 2018

All of them pretty much.

Yeah, a lot of them I think. The rest were made up by people who wanted power and control so they brainwashed the masses. They also mandated that god came before anything ... like that thing that there's three of you in marriage: you, your spouse, and god.

I'd be like, so you really are the asshole your believers make you out to be. Well, we've been estranged for most of my life so I'm used to it. I have nothing to gain from obeying or worshipping you because you are abusive. See ya!

Everyone is making me laugh so hard at their responses. You are too funny.

@Rangepainter lolz!!!

"Fuck off."

How about go teach your grandmother to suck eggs? I know you'll get that one, not sure if anyone else would?

@SpikeTalon, did he create his own egg-sucking grannie?

Apart from the fact that no child of mine is & no god of mine is either? should he still dare to show himself, making murderous demands - i'd kill him.

Me to

I think in the actual story wasnt he only trying it on to see how much he was loved -( very insecure god this one )

But wouldn't THAT be a really WEIRD thing to ask for,regardless of whether the god actually intended to allow the Dad to do it?

@DonDixon absolutely! totally bonkers too.

Tell him to Fuck off.

There is nothing like being succinct, and that was nothing like being succinct 🙂

My response would be one that should not like to repeat in polite company.
Abraham was a dangerous psychopath, and a God who would do that to someone so obviously mad, and then back down at the last minute for sh!ts and giggles is one evil sick messed up excremental ahole.

or maybe

Flip the double bird and walk away.

LAMO.

Bounce his face off of a rock.

LMFAO seriously I'm laughing so hard my gut hurts.

I'd stop smoking pot.

If God was real I would start shooting heroin

Fuck you I don't need your crap.

I'd tell him to fuck off.

Assume I'd had a psychotic break and baker act myself.

Straight to a&e and ask for medication

Isn't that schizophrenia?

I will tell him, "A benevelant god would not ask such a deed. He/she would never have created a situation in which such a deed be necessary." Then, I'd kindly bid him goodbye by saying, "Go fuck yourself, you sadistic bastard."

Gohan Level 7 Apr 9, 2018

I'd firmly indicate that unless it intended to use its power to take over my action, I'm not a puppet for it to enact its sick fantasies. Several expletives would be involved. Then I'd go about my business.

I'd simply tell it that any being that wanted my child to be murdered by me is not a being that is fit to worship.

It would be time to check myself into a mental institution.

Betty Level 8 Apr 9, 2018

I dunno. I'm trying to make this work in my head. So god appeared and in one day convinced me he was god, and that I should kill my child? I think I'd be hung up on how he'd convince me which I'm hoping would take more than one day, so we wouldn't ever get to the test (since I'm not gonna ever believe).

So if a period of time started in which I was having thoughts that god existed and was talking to me, I'd be like @VictoriaNotes and get myself to a neurologist. So again we wouldn't get very far.

So, really, not an issue for me.

Its a bad dream. I would simply wake myself up and it would go away. Too bad millions want to live in that semi comatose state.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:53652
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.