Agnostic.com

36 5

Do you stand for the anthem?

What are you thoughts on saluting the flag? I always thought it was a pointless ritual similar to worshiping a rock. What really trips me out is when atheist would scoff at the notion of worshipping a God have no problems saluting the flag. Which os essentially doing the exact same thing.

• 27 votes
  • 19 votes
  • 23 votes
mrveggieman187 6 Apr 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

36 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm from the UK so don't know if my take is any different. I don't care about the national anthem one way or the other really. If I'm at an event and the crowd stands then so do I. If I hear it when I'm alone I don't. I'm British, not sure what that means in terms of the sort of person I am, nothing I should think, there are parts of our colonial past that are appalling and their are current policies in the UK that are dreadful, especially to those less able, but I also have a pride in British accomplishments and that wouldn't change whether I stand for God Save The Queen or not.

I make the choice depending on the space. I refuse to attend many events that have not at least tried to face the issues in front of the whole world much less stand for an anthem that now represents the grotesque nature of my country (USA) currently.

But I will stand for some things:
School events
To help someone else (guy at hockey games who season tickets are next to me and he needs help to stand for the whole anthem).
At funerals (the person requested it be played so I respect them and stand)

In England in the cinemas it was traditional at a time to play 'The Queen ' and dirty looks were given if you didn't stand up; but the buses were ready to take us home and there was a stampede for all exits so you could get home on the late bus.

I used to stand for the anthem until athletes used kneeling as a peaceful way to protest systemic racism still very much present in this country. I didn’t stop standing because they kneeled, I stopped standing because of the infantile authoritarian reaction to the kneeling.

I guess I find it much more upsetting that minority people are disproportionately losing their lives unjustifiably at the hands of people charged by all of us with protecting them. And it’s a nationwide problem. And that has to stop. Now. It’s a little more important than taking pride in a colorful cloth.

I don't really care for my country's national anthem as it mentions a god. Not sure which one it's meant to be. Not real thingo about nationalism either although I do understand that it shapes people's identity, including very much my own.

As a Jehovah's Witness, we were NOT to stand for the national anthem or pledge allegience to the flag. Now I do it out of freedom as well as respect.

JK666 Level 7 Apr 10, 2018

I do not, mainly becuase I do not go anywhere it is played....

No I do not, never have and never will.

The national anthem sucks. Do any of you have it saved on your playlist? Really, I'm joking, Fergie did amazing at the NBA all-star game singing it. Hahaha

Actually, yes I do have it on my playlist. 🙂

I don't stand for the words, or for the royalist sentiments, as I ama republican (in the British meaning of the words) but I am British, I love my country and what it aspires to stand for.
By standing for the the Anthem I acknowledge the sacrifices of my ancentors and the righting of past wrongs, the ever bettering and evolution of British tradition and custom.

Many of the ones kneeling are protesting the unequal, cruel practices of this country. And those currently in power are making it worse. We are going backward while many think we're returning to some type of nirvana they see in their mind's eye where they will be "on top" again instead of getting the side eye.

When I go to a ballgame and the anthem is played get up leave the area go to a corner somewher, turn my back to flag and play on my phone. That way I'm not causing a distraction to anyone who wants to salute the flag but I'm also not acknowledging or participating in their pointless and stupid customs.

agreed

Stand, sit, kneel....the point is, if you live in America and you don't like it here, you can always liquidate your assets and find another country that will tolerate you.
I served in the military and I know this country has its problems like any other.
But this country is about being unified and even though I'm agnostic, I still know that "god" means "all of us", not just a man with a white beard sitting in the sky.

So basically don't have a dissenting opinion or a mind of your own and if you do leave. Got ya.

This country has problems that it shouldn't...crappy education, social security issues, failing health care system, SSI, failing infrastructure, i.e. buildings, roads...politicians don't give a shit, I was a Marine myself, a smart Marine with both eyes wide open. I have lived in other countries, so please stop handing out that B.S. "if you don't like it here, leave"...cause WE are the ones trying to make it a better place for our children.

@Agr8m8 I agree. I think as members of this country, we should protest and often, we should use our votes, not stand around as we slide down that slippery slope while chanting make America great...
This country is at the bottom of the barrel in every international ranking. Last year in the WHO report of developed nations, we slipped seven places to #48. This makes us great?

@Agr8m8 I'm not going anywhere and will continue to exercise my freedom of speech

The following is a good example of what's wrong with this country. From the president's Fox mouthpiece, "Black kid applies and is accepted into 20 colleges and universities. Fox newscasters say its obnoxious and wrong?"

[twitter.com]

I was in the military. My father served in WW ll. My grandgather served in both world wars. Being in the military has nothing to do with it. The country either treats all of its citizens with respect and in an even hand or it doesn't. We don't. That is all that matters, period!

I don't agree with ANY ritual preceding ANY civil public meeting or spectator entertainment or sporting event.

That said, IF im in attendance I'll stand out of respect for those voluntarily exercising secular mass freedom of expression. People can always try to arrive late enough to miss the rituals but on time for the meeting or event. One also has the restroom option if you're early for good seats.

For prayer nosense in those circumstances I'll sit or remain seated. That crap has no place at secular gatherings save advertising and I don't stand for advertising either.

I've never really felt the need. I live closer to another country and am 3000 miles from the next closest US state. When I fly out to other states there is always a geographical and geothermal disconnect, not including the time change.

I think I’ve always seen saluting the flag as a commitment to each other, rather than a commitment to a god.

When I was in the military we stood and we saluted the flag as the anthem played. I remember that I was sworn to protect the country for which the flag stood. Nobody said anything about protecting the flag, but it had to be treated honorably. These days I may or may not stand for the anthem. If you think the government is not giving you a fair shake then take a knee if you will. It's your choice. I know that I'm a Patriot and that John McCain is a Patriot. Bone Spurs is not a Patriot. He's just a spoiled little rich boy that tweets and stirs up trouble.

I do, I was raised that way, we lost a generation of our family in WW1 so it is pretty much entrenched.

I don't stand for the anthem. If I happen to be already standing, I don't say anything. I also don't participate in 30 seconds of silence.

I personally stand for the anthem and will recite the pledge. Although, I'm not very keen on the wording of the pledge. I do it out of respect for tradition more than anything else. However, I stand firmly behind anyone who chooses not to.

I take a different postition, I for one do love the old democratic USA, not the trump one,
I appreciate daily the freedoms we have and with that do not wish to participate in the traditional must stand stuff. If my feet are tired I continue sitting. IT is like those that go to church on easter and christmas. What is the point if you turn around and spit on the busses of children seeking love

EMC2 Level 8 Apr 9, 2018

I stand. I don't place my hand on my heart. I think part of the reason I stand is that I don't want to be ostracized (or worse) for not standing. I think another part of the reason I stand is lifelong habit.

I fully support anybody at any time protesting injustices in our country in any legal non-violent way that feels comfortable to them.

Same.

My (slightly drunk) uncle told me I "hate America" because he witnessed me fail to put my hand over my heart during the Pledge of Allegiance once. I didn't dare tell him I don't (willingly) participate any oaths or rituals, because I find them disingenuous and frankly, for me, fraudulent.

It's hard for me to stand for a country that does not want me. It's hard for me to stand for a country that invaded my island of Puerto Rico in 1898 by Gen Nelson Miles and totaly disregarded The Charter of Autonomy which granted our freedom. How can I truly stand proud when the US bombed us twice for wanting to break away from the U.S. Experimented on our women with birth control. Passed public Law 136 that made it legal to sterilize our women against they're will because white people didn't like us. Imposed Law 53 aka the gag law which made it illegal to own and wave our Puerto Rican flag or sing our national anthem or speak of separating from the US. I cannot be proud of a country who still to this day will not allow us to trade freely with other countries because of the Jones ACT and cabotage laws. Then they want us to be appreciative for what they have done.
No I cannot. And if anybody is proud of that. Then we cannot be friends.

Am a veteran and do it to honor my friends.

I don't think I'd sit or kneel if it was something like a high school graduation and the whole place was standing. But if i were attending an NFL game where players were kneeling in protest of police getting away with shooting black men, I think I'd sit it out in solidarity. I'm against fetishizing the flag like it means more than our actual rights and freedoms. I'm kind of uncomfortable with the ritual of the pledge, but I'd pick my battles.

I don't see it as fetishizing the flag (btw, never heard that before). I see the flag as a symbol of respect for the great experiment called the United States. That's why I stand.

I'm with you, @Rangepainter: veneration of symbols feels very squicky to me!

@marga, i wouldn't assume that everyone who chooses to stand is fetishizing the flag. To me, my country is my home. We fly the flag on national holidays because it's our flag too. It doesn't just belong to one demographic of Americans. But I do believe that if someone makes a point about something as important as life and death, saying America needs to do better and calling attention to their grievance or plight by not behaving in deference to a symbol of our country, then even if I disagree, I believe in their right to do it.

I always stand for the anthem. I was a soldier so perhaps that further ingrained patriotism into my opinion.

@twshield thank you for the support!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:53667
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.