Agnostic.com

36 5

Do you stand for the anthem?

What are you thoughts on saluting the flag? I always thought it was a pointless ritual similar to worshiping a rock. What really trips me out is when atheist would scoff at the notion of worshipping a God have no problems saluting the flag. Which os essentially doing the exact same thing.

• 27 votes
  • 19 votes
  • 23 votes
mrveggieman187 6 Apr 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

36 comments (26 - 36)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think I’ve always seen saluting the flag as a commitment to each other, rather than a commitment to a god.

When I was in the military we stood and we saluted the flag as the anthem played. I remember that I was sworn to protect the country for which the flag stood. Nobody said anything about protecting the flag, but it had to be treated honorably. These days I may or may not stand for the anthem. If you think the government is not giving you a fair shake then take a knee if you will. It's your choice. I know that I'm a Patriot and that John McCain is a Patriot. Bone Spurs is not a Patriot. He's just a spoiled little rich boy that tweets and stirs up trouble.

I personally stand for the anthem and will recite the pledge. Although, I'm not very keen on the wording of the pledge. I do it out of respect for tradition more than anything else. However, I stand firmly behind anyone who chooses not to.

I attend no events anymore where the anthem is played. If I did, I would probably stand.

Oh its not the same by any means. The flag represents something tangible. And yes, I stand as every citizen should. Now, since you have made that comparison, then in general terms for everyone, you don't like religion/God the you have the choice to quit and move on to something else. By the same token, you don't like the flag or country then go somewhere else.You know how the saying goes... You can move, you are not a tree. Last counterargument, I am not telling you what to do, just thinking out loud triggered by your question.

Really, is that the choice? You presume a lot. Obviously, you were well trained.

Not sure what that means but, I guess I was.

@Stacey48.... Yeah you're right, I was a bit off the mark.....Still I don't think the flag is the government....... Anyway, how do you propose to make changes? How does disrespecting the flag helps our case?

Why should I have to go any where? I was born, raised here and am a taxpayer. I have every right to voice my opinions as you do.

@mrveggieman187 you're correct, you don't have to (obviously), you have the right to voice your opinion as I do, like you very well said. I think this thread got off track and your initial comment is that you find pointless to salute our flag. We are going to have to agree to disagree. I will stand and salute the flag and you will do as you see fit. Should we leave it at that?

In England in the cinemas it was traditional at a time to play 'The Queen ' and dirty looks were given if you didn't stand up; but the buses were ready to take us home and there was a stampede for all exits so you could get home on the late bus.

I do, I was raised that way, we lost a generation of our family in WW1 so it is pretty much entrenched.

I don't stand for the anthem. If I happen to be already standing, I don't say anything. I also don't participate in 30 seconds of silence.

Respect. Everything starts with Respect.

Respect is earned. When my country earns my respect l will stand. It has along way to go.

@Sticks48 we both know there is no country without skelletons in its closet. Sometimes I "grant respect" not on the earned but on what it represent. I still Honour "the Office of the President of United States" but not the actual occupant. I talk about the many wrongs of this country of mine, you can see my posts... but an anthem, any anthem of a nation is the pure endeavour of what nation should be. But if is earned respect what you are looking for... How You are going to consider is enough Retribution for the Slaves and the Natives in which this country was built on? See? You Can Not Undo The Damage Done. As a human, any human... you can protest and I salute for it. You got my respect.

@GipsyOfNewSpain None of the things l mentioned have been fixed. We have had over 200 years to fix this stuff and we haven't. I don't respect offices or uniforms, l respect living beings period.

@Sticks48 True Nothing has been Fixed.

I'm from the UK so don't know if my take is any different. I don't care about the national anthem one way or the other really. If I'm at an event and the crowd stands then so do I. If I hear it when I'm alone I don't. I'm British, not sure what that means in terms of the sort of person I am, nothing I should think, there are parts of our colonial past that are appalling and their are current policies in the UK that are dreadful, especially to those less able, but I also have a pride in British accomplishments and that wouldn't change whether I stand for God Save The Queen or not.

I make the choice depending on the space. I refuse to attend many events that have not at least tried to face the issues in front of the whole world much less stand for an anthem that now represents the grotesque nature of my country (USA) currently.

But I will stand for some things:
School events
To help someone else (guy at hockey games who season tickets are next to me and he needs help to stand for the whole anthem).
At funerals (the person requested it be played so I respect them and stand)

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:53667
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.