Agnostic.com

13 18

Zippy de do da! My new weights came today.

Since age twenty-five, I have been weightlifting two to three times/week, in addition to running and hiking.

But with the pandemic and asthma, I refuse to darken the doors of a gym. Masks are optional at the YMCA. Forget it.

After seven months, it felt like my muscles were vanishing. Push-ups were not enough.

Years ago, I had at-home weights with screw-on plates. It was hard to tighten down the plates. Heavy plates slid off, narrowly missing my feet. I prefer the gym, anyway. Sold those stupid weights at a yard sale.

"I wonder if they improved the way plates screw on?" I mused. To my delight, the answer is YES. See the easy yellow screw-on pieces? These weights go from five pounds to twenty-two pounds per hand.

This will keep me busy.

Photos:

1. New weights, 44 lbs. total. Love the sturdy basket. Previously used it for kindling.

2. Age 25. Stretching before shouldering my pack. Backpacking in the Olympic Mountains.

3. Age 58. Horsing around after weightlifting.

4. Age 63. Can you see the muscles in my back?

LiterateHiker 9 Oct 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You're lucky that you can find weights. I've been dodging the gym and it's maskless minions. I found a great deal a few months ago on some commercial grade gym equipment , but it's taking a while to gather the plates needed as the local stores stay sold out . Only occasionally do I luck out and find the odd plate when I happen to be in town. Yes they are available online, but I refuse to blow $50 on a $10 plate

@wolf041

Dumbbells were completely sold out in Wenatchee, WA. I got this set online:

[amazon.com]

Awesome sweety

As an extreme trainer and former personal trainer, I suggest pullups, if you have a place to do them. They are the best exercise, for core, back, arms, and if done correctly, some pectorals even.

@skeptic70

You're right.

With an ectomorph body type, pull-ups are super hard for me. I can do five or seven pull-ups. Guys always beat me.

Sheepishly, Kathleen

@LiterateHiker I once could not do a single pullup. Now I do hundreds a day. They are definitely not easy to improve, but doable.

Love your pics as usual ,you get more surprisng all the time, I started back at the gym a month ago but we have an ultra low covid in this area ,any ways there is only to maybe 3 in the weight machine room i use,,i do 16 machines 15 reps on each on in about half hour and i leave,,do it 3 times a week,,if it is crowed which is rarely as i go in off times week days 9 to 10 area .Love pic 4 of your back and muscles mmmm

I am not going to arm wrestle you, might take me down.

I was in the same situation when our gym closed. I had some weights so started a regime. It wasn't the same as the gym but it helped a lot. Now the gym is open again but the home program has been added to the gym. During these times we just need to find ways to adapt.

Wow! Amazing physique!

And nice shadows too

@BudFrank

Thank you.

Good on you for working out and keeping fit.
Motivation I find is the biggest thing to overcome.

Garf Level 7 Oct 5, 2020

I wish you well with your weight training.

@jlynn37

Today I started low: eight pounds. Will gradually increase the weight.

It will be easy to change the plates for different exercises. Love it!

The whole quarantine hasn't stopped any of my bikes. Good on you!

@Holysocks

Good for you! Enjoy your bicycle rides.

You give new meaning to the term "hardarse". 😄

@Cyklone

Yesterday I received this message from a man on Fitness Singles:

"Some years ago we communicated a little, on which site I don't remember. Anyway, you are still as intimidating as ever. I could never decide if you were the perfect woman (for me), or someone who would run me into the ground. You doubtless have boundless energy, and confidence."

Intimidating means to cause fear. At 112 lbs, I doubt I scare men.

@VeronicaAnn

Aww...gee...shucks... sound of scraping hiking boot. Thank you.

@LiterateHiker it wasn't meant to mean intimidating but a play on words in that you probably have a muscley backside (hardarse) with all your exercise and walking. (new meaning)

Consider kettlebells. No plates.

@Mitch07102

I hate kettle-balls. They are not compact enough.

Swinging kettle-balls around easily causes injury.

@LiterateHiker Any weight routine, done improperly, will cause injury. Though yes, kettlebells require more training and skill to do properly.

Lift weights. Be healthy.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:540909
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.