Agnostic.com

1 0

Most “free speech” cases, from the trial of Socrates onwards (... Galileo, Spinoza...), have been to do with blasphemy and outraging the sensibilities of the community.
Is that what we are experiencing in these current times? It’s almost a daily barrage, of what I would suggest are similar cases (opinion stated, outrage ensues, someone/company pays an extraordinarily heavy price).
Do you think this is how reasonable people should behave in this age?
I feel like we are missing lessons that should have already been remembered and learnt about cult dogmatic thinking. I feel poisoned by it and sometimes skip a day of keeping up with the news just to recover.

Mvtt 7 Oct 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

AFAIK, there is NO (UN/human) right to NOT be offended. 😮 😛

That's something I'm fond of saying and you're right. But various private orgs to set rules or contractural obligations. The closest thing I can think of is the FCC and its obsession with profanities, nudity, and sex. Even then I think those regulations, if they are actually written into law, are strictly regulating only commercial speech which is not subject to the free speech principle which is the flip side of no one having the right to be offended.

Just remember the more someone calls attention to the thing that is offended the more they amplify that thing. If Berkeley students just boycotted speakers they don't like those meetings would pass by poorly attended with barely a whisper. Instead they should invite their own speakers, and vigorously debate them. Remember that the ACLU defended the right of neo-Nazis to march through Skokie where many Holocaust survivors lived. And yet we survived. And Germany who has very strict anti-free speech rules that would outlaw such things still have plenty of neo-Nazis.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:541832
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.