Agnostic.com

14 3

Can we have a civil conversation about American policy without getting emotional?

I'm an Agnostic Trump supporter and a gun-owner. I have my reasonings for being who I am. For someone to come along and be disrespectful and call me names just because they have a difference of opinion makes me question their maturity level as well as their intellect. Can people of different backgrounds have a civil (respectable) debate about politics in order to come to a unified decision on how we live our lives in society?

FinchiMcQ 6 Apr 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

What do you think about global warming and the environment? My dad thinks nothing can go catastrophically wrong because everything will fulfill a set prophecy. I think the people who generate the CO2 have some responsibility to mitigate the economic losses of affected parties and maybe we should put more effort here.

Lauxa Level 5 Apr 10, 2018

Due to the polarization of viewpoints I tend to think this is becoming more and more unlikely.

Personally, I'm befuddled that anyone could support Trump. I understand the ideals of small government, held by most conservatives, tends to coincide with freethinkers aversion to authoritarianism but that is about the only common ground I have with them. I disagree with their economic policies and definitely disagree with their social policies. Their general unwillingness to progress and the current trend toward Randian philosophy is downright scary to me.

Excuse me, but it is terribly hard to understand how any rational and moral person can fail to understnad whata despicable and sociopathic person Trump is and actually support this traitor and moral disaster.This man will destroy our democracy, given half a chance.

Similarly, I am also a gun owner, but it is also equally as hard to understand how any rational and moral human can fight against control of weapons designed primarly to kill humans.

In short, I find your positions irrational, immoral, and unpatriotic.

Tell me one thing Trump has done to prove that he is "despicable and sociopathic" please?
Just in his first term he has rid the population of 40% of the child trafficking and sex trafficing operations running the same organizations running our nation's primary media broadcasting stations.
Again please show me proof of your accusations upon the President so that I can feel like the immoral person you claim I am.

@FinchiMcQ Not a single word of your response is true. I don't need to provide you proof. The man's entire life record is proof and if you can't see it, you have a real perception problem.

No, people aren't rational when it comes to entities they cherish who tend to make up stories.

Thank you for your comment.
I'd love an example please..

@FinchiMcQ The Tuskegee Syphilis Experiment

Sure we can, as long as you don't dip into the "fake" news crazee complaints and we can just talk about his horrific(IMHO) policies and everything else I detest about him. Ready, go.

What do you detest?

Can we stop demonizing emotions? Personally I find ad hominem attacks much more problematic than emotion.

Lauxa Level 5 Apr 10, 2018

I completely agree.
I think political opinions are the main things that we should embrace in a healthy way in order to pass laws for our nation. It's what makes the United States...united!
But when identity politics separates us from what truly matters..it's a no-win situation and that's when governments take over and take more of our rights away.

Sure, you start.
What we talking about?

I want to understand what makes our President such a bad person?
As a veteran, I have received a raise in my disability pension since he's been office.
I'm trying to figure out why people hate him..

It's only natural that this side hate that side. These little tidbits of positive things that may seem nice will not add up in the long run and you will see that his whole presidency is purely self serving.
Him putting his family in office should have been the give away.
You've earned your bonus but later when you see the bill you're going to pay for yourself while he and the rich like him will not.
Study him in depth.

Freedom Of Speech Is Important. While I Don't Agree With Trumps Presidency, It's My Opinion.Your Viewpoint Is Just As Important, Welcome.

Coldo Level 8 Apr 10, 2018

I agree..and thank you for your comment!
Would you agree that even though you disagree with his presidency, as a country we do want him to win! To success and not fail...?
For us?

@FinchiMcQ I Would Like Too See Him Do Something For America.But I Doubt He Has The Intelligence Or Commitment Do Do So.On Has Past Record, He Has Not Succeed In Anything He Has Undertaken I Hope I Am Wrong For The American Peoples Sake .Slangiva

I wish it was true. Most talks about politics break down to people waiting for trigger word to be said so they can spit out there partisan talking points. I think both political parties want it that way. I don't see it much better in atheist communities myself

JeffB Level 6 Apr 10, 2018

From the comments on this post, I can agree with you!
I guess I'm the rarity that doesn't associate myself with identity politics.

@FinchiMcQ agreed!
For transparence I should say I'm not a Trump support. I'm pretty left leaning in most things. But I'm pro gun! 😉
I just don't automatically dismiss people's point of view. I'm sorry people disrespect you offer this.

Blame it on Canada.

godef Level 7 Apr 10, 2018

Why?

@FinchiMcQ Just goofing around. It's a song from a South Park movie.

I welcome you to the community and passeth no judgment on you, as I believe in freedom of speech and expression.

I truly appreciate that!
Thank you?

Mental cattle are not equipped to recognize, let alone express ideas of personal origin. They are either indoctrinated or have voluntarily abdicated their faculties of discernment of group leadership; be that theological, political or both.

Partisans love you when your thoughts about something agree with their spoon-fed notions adopted from their 'betters'. Conversely they'll hate and demonize you when your thought-out opinions disagree with and threaten to add flavor to their pap.

I voted for Trump. Am I a Trump supporter on every policy? Of course not!

That would make me functionally indistiguishable from a Clinton sycophant. I vehemently disagree with notions that using religion as an excuse to inconvenience or otherwise discriminate in accommodations to the public, exemplify 'religious freedom'.

Agree wholeheartedly with his border and Second Amendment policies. I like his policies toward North Korea and China and they are proving to be fruitful. Disagree totally with his policies toward Russia and in the MIddle East; seeing them as very misguided and leading us toward war.

Lots of other examples but these should suffice to illustrate that any of my positions would be welcomed by one herd and earn labeling and demonization by the other.

It's the price one pays for emancipation from the herds. In this country where expressing disagreement gets only name calling at best and loss of a career at worst, we are still better off than in other places where the same behavior merits prison or head pruning.

What a profound statement, Sir!
Might I ad a reply to you reply:
I agree wholeheartedly with you and hadnot come to that realizaction until you mentioned it.
I feel a lot better about my stance now.
And yes, I will admit that our President is giving in a little to the pressure of those who have a higher clearance than he, but have you heard about all the child traffickers and sex ring operationsize he shut down that was conviniently hidden in the "media"?

@FinchiMcQ Haven't heard or read anything but its just another aspect of his administration with which I'd agree. Nobody gets it all or can be it all. You'd think that among people who reject gods, this fact would be more broadly understood.

Civil discourse seems to be a lost art these days. I tend to be apolitical, but mostly because I’m just not interested. Though, I do find your support of Trump interesting because you don’t fit the mold of the popular idea of a typical supporter (white, male). I supppose that illustrates a bias and prejudice I have that I always like to pretend isn’t there.

But, back to the subject at hand, I wouldn’t call myself a fan of Trump, but it’s always important to me to be civil with folks. I also like hearing the other side. You never know when someone will enlighten your mind.

Not when it comes at the price of 30,000 American lives a year. You can call me imature or whatever you want, l could give a fuck less.

Where does your statistics come from?

@FinchiMcQ The government. Are you not paying attention?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:54290
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.