Agnostic.com

6 11

LINK Waitress Fired After Refusing to Serve Transphobic Customers | Beth Stoneburner | Friendly Atheist | Patheos

She asked to switch tables.

The boss gave her an option: Serve them or leave.

She left.

snytiger6 9 Oct 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have some advice for this waitress and others like her.
You are now in the real world.

In your lifetime you will hear many things that you don’t like. Not everyone gives a damn about PC.
If your job involves interacting with the public you’re gonna have to suck it up buttercup.

Some customers will be boorish douchebags. Some will be rude and condescending.
You do not have to engage them in chit chat or agree with anything they say.

Your job is to put on a happy face and ask them if they are ready to order food or drink.
While you are on the clock you are not the PC police. The workplace is not your personal "safespace".

If this puts your knickers in a twist, after work go home and kick the cat, chug a couple fingers of Jack, do whatever floats your boat and relieves your angst.

She was not fired, she chose to quit the job.
According to the article linked she was told to serve them or leave. I would interpret that to be "do your job or leave".
Doing her job without engaging in their conversation does not constitute "rewarding" them.

The customers should not have involved her. They crossed the line and she should have been able to refuse to serve them without choosing between that and losing her job.

1. Service staff trade out tables all the time, for any number of reasons.
  2. She was fired.
  3. You've conveniently ignored the offending conduct.

I have some advice for this waitress and others like her.
You are now in the real world.

In your lifetime you will hear many things that you don’t like. Not everyone gives a damn about PC.
If your job involves interacting with the public you’re gonna have to suck it up buttercup.

Some customers will be boorish douchebags. Some will be rude and condescending.
You do not have to engage them in chit chat or agree with anything they say.

Your job is to put on a happy face and ask them if they are ready to order food or drink.
While you are on the clock you are not the PC police. The workplace is not your personal "safespace".

If this puts your knickers in a twist, after work go home and kick the cat, chug a couple fingers of Jack, do whatever floats your boat and relieves your angst.

I hope she plans to sue her former boss. That a load of bs.

I wasn't there. If they were harassing other customers they should be asked to leave. If they were bantering comments among themselves, they are customers. Bigoted customers but still patrons. As I said, I was not there. I've been in restaurant business for 40 years. There's a lot of ignorant people and I talk about them when they leave. If someone is bothering another patron, gay, straight or trans, I'd throw them out.

The article says the customer was being harrassed.

@LovinLarge The author of the article mentioned harassing, the waitress and owner weren't quoted that way. If they were bothering other customers I would have admonished them or threw them out.

@barjoe The waitress indicated that she overheard the transphobic remarks prior to arriving at the table, so the remarks were being made loudly enough for people other than those at the table to hear. This may be what the author considered harrassment or perhaps there was more. Don't service staff commonly switch out tables for one reason or another?

@LovinLarge I wasn't there.

The issue here is hypocrisy.

Religious conservatives want to be able to refuse service to LGBTQ because they're offended by their orientation, but this server is not allowed the privilege of refusing service to bigots because she is offended by bigotry (which, unlike being LGBTQ, actually IS a choice; nobody is born a bigot). Essentially, the owner was saying "bigots are a protected class and you are obligated to serve them."

Tell them Philly style Joe! LOL!!!

Really the only solution. Unfortunately bigots have a right to exist, but they don’t have a right to cause trouble. Of course, if they choose to express their hate and biases, they should keep in mind, the waitperson is handling their food....

Can I get an order of bigotry with a side order of stupidity? Could she have refused to comment and state what her job was? The 1st amendment protects their right to an opinion, yes? Regardless of how one feels about it.

Perhaps, but they made an effort to drag the waitress into it. Had it remained a "private conversation", it would have been something entirely different.
I hope she wins her complaining.

This is about harrassment of the other customer and the waitress, not about opinion.

@KKGator Yes the customers crossed the line when they involved the waitress. They also crossed a line if the person they were deriding could hear what they were saying.

Once they engaged the waitress in the conversation it was no longer private. The manager was wrong and should have defended the waitress to the customers and told them to leave as trying to engage their staff in hate rhetoric is unacceptable behavior.

I hope the waitress files a complaint and wins and whatever consequences are merited out to the restaurant are upheld.

Leelu Level 7 Oct 16, 2020
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:544055
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.