Agnostic.com

4 1

Last night I had a nightmare that I think will haunt me for a long time. I was asleep in my bed in my current apartment and I woke up feeling that someone was in bed with me. It was one of those waking nightmares where your still asleep but everything is so real you believe you are awake. I felt someone roll over next to me in bed and I thought for a split second it was my ex bc he used to come in after I'd gone to bed, but he moved out a year ago. So my mind jumps to try to figure out who else it would be. I moved just slightly and they wrapped an arm around me. They are clearly a lot bigger than I am. I try not to move. Not to breathe. I know my cellphones on my night stand, maybe I can grab it and ...and idk run to the bathroom. Im horror stricken, whoever it is in my bed isnt asleep and they are wrapping me in their arms. One hand goes over my mouth. I instantly start telling myself this has to be a dream, it has to be, how do I wake up. I pinch my arm as hard as I can. I woke up for a split second but then im pulled back in to the dream. Black washes over me, I can't breathe.I keep thinking "im still dreaming just wake up" over and over eventually I finally wake up.

Its been a long time since I've had that terrifying of a nightmare. I had night terrors as a kid that only ever stopped when I moved out of my mothers house but this dream was real. I mean as real as a dream can be and I don't know what brought it on. Usually I can piece together something from a dream or nightmare to something that I thought about during the day or something I saw/heard/felt but this... it was stomach turning.

I don't know why I'm posting about it other than maybe that'll clear my head of it a bit, get it off my chest so to say. Any insights are appreciated.

Gypsy31771 6 Oct 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You might have had a stage of sleep called hypagogic sleep. Half way between Rem and waking. Record your sleep to see if you are breathing properly and call you Dr if you hear any thing like gurgling. Do you wake up exhausted or with a headache? These are stressful times. The next three weeks may peak. Hold on to your lilly white butts@@!!

And ones not so lily white butts such as us.

I'm always exhausted. I wake myself up snoring on my couch sometimes. I've always been a toss and turn sleeper. I got some weighted blankets awhile back and that helped for a while. I tried CBD gummies and those were fantastic but I don't have the income to stay on those.

@Gypsy31771 Gotta call yer doc! If you wait, you could be damaging your heart.

@Gypsy31771 I had sleep apnea, but no insurance. Found a CPAP machine on Craigslist and that saved my life, I am sure.

My sleep became useful, woke up feeling refreshed in the morning, no more snoring (girlfriend liked that!).

I can't see why these machines are prescription only, except to make money for the insurance companies.

It sounds very like a condition called Sleep Paralysis. It is frightening but harmless to a large extent. You will find more on the web. Here is a start.
[en.wikipedia.org]

@actofdog That's right, I had forgoten that it used to be called the night hag.

@actofdog Interestingly. Many years ago, I saw a TV program which claimed to offer evidence for ghosts. One of its star witnesses, was a young woman, who claimed to have woken up one morning, with a heavy, but invisible 'ghost' sitting on her chest an stopping her from rising. Go figure.

@actofdog Never saw a ghost, but once saw a UFO, which it turned out were car lights, in a valley bottom where I did not think there was a road for a car to be on, but I was wrong.

@actofdog I have lived around airports all my life. Some strange sounds came from the airport. If people had ever heard a screech owl or a coyote screaming at night, they would be scared unless they knew what it was.

Were you out earlier? Could you have been "roofie-d"? If you did Actually pinch yourself, probably not.
Or are you taking any prescription sleep aids, they can have Weird side effects

No thankfully. We've had reports of girls being drugged at the bar i go to so I've been weary of that. One of my neighbors was one of them. Thankfully her husband got her home but that day I had stayed home almost all day and it had been a few days since I'd gone out to that bar or any bar.

. . . lucid dream

[healthline.com]

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:544729
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.