Agnostic.com

6 5

LINK Joseph Campbell – The Story of Indra from the Brahmavar Upanishad – The Power of Myth - YouTube

Whether you're religious or not, the interviews of Joseph Campbell by Bill Moyers called "The Power of Myth" is brilliant. There's also a book based upon those six episodes first broadcast in 1988, shortly after Campbell's death.

This short excerpt is my favorite part of the whole series. It seems very relevant right now. I hope you enjoy it.

OldWiseAss 7 Oct 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Great excerpt! I was fascinated by The Power of Myth when it came out. Of all of his books, that one in my bookcase is marked up with yellow highlighter, for the parts that made me think a bit and have an "aha" moment.

I took to heart the "follow your bliss" advice and also enjoying what you feel is heaven here on earth. With so many myths that came before the current ones, it made it acceptable for me to not believe in the bible except as a mythos.

It was also Joseph Campbell's writings that got me to write some things of my own. Someday I hope to share them to help others make some sense of the world.

The excerpt you posted is great for illustrating how each universe is perhaps created from the collapse of a previous one, and that our life is built upon what others have done before us, and what we do here on earth is what those who come after us will build their life upon.

His books were famous and transformative long before Moyers caught on.

Just listened to it all ,Beautiful Myth ,loved the way he explained it,first i have heard this or about him

As an atheist, I love Joseph's Campbell's groundbreaking book, "The Power of Myth."

It's a treasured book I bought in 1988 when it was first published.

Happy you enjoyed it so much

Myth is how humans encapsulate what they see as the wisdom of living, I believe.

He is one of my motivations to become a non-believer.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Same! His writings are what made me truly think about my beliefs and the doubts I had. 😀

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:544852
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.