Agnostic.com

44 11

Compliments

Have you received any compliments that have stuck with you for years and still cause you to feel good?

Donotbelieve 9 Apr 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

44 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes, beause they are repeated by different people who have crossed my path. Which proves it pays to be kind to others as it leaves an impression.

im always told by who ever i meet that i hace beutiful eyes so i guss its the truth

A friend in college told me I wrote like the next Kerouac. And an author who does writing worshops I liked to attend when I still went to conventions told me that as long as I kept with writing, I would eventually be published and do well, in part because of how I respond to editorial feedback. Both of these are treasured moments, the latter doubly so because I spent a lot of time doing theatre when I was in high school and my first few years of college and an important part of that was being able to take critique and notes and understand they're for the benefit of the work. I had already switched majors to anthropology by that point, in part because it was going to be a faster track to graduation and in part because the college theatre program just...burned away my affection of theatre in general, and this compliment sort of brushed against some of those old sentiments and helped make the experience feel a little more worthwhile, if only tangentially.

"You're one of the few true Beat Poets."
Made my whole week.

@Donotbelieve I think that's the whole story

@Donotbelieve I thought we frowned on fantasy here.

In college my friends fiance was killed in a traffic accident. Her mother called my mother to find send me there immediately, calling me the Rock of Gibraltar.

Not really, but I don’t have an easy time accepting compliments except factual ones. I’d say the weirdest of the compliments I’ve gotten were:

You have nice legs. (My grandma, oddly.)
Your hair smells pretty.... (random lady asked me my shampoo and it was like dude, I wash it every three days, you smell NOTHING.)
The ubiquitous “you’re smart.” (Genius IQ, I know.)
And then the shitty ones, you’re pretty but fat.

I'm often weary of compliments but I've been described by different people unrelated to each other that I'm a modern day Renaissance Man. I like that descriptor.

Yes. Two actually: " you are a human version of a sun" and " you are a botched nerd"

I was told about 10 years ago that I was the answer to every young maidens prayers. I was told this by a retired 80 year old nun. So I may never forget it, just don't know how to take it.

When my adult children tell me they had a great childhood and that I am their inspiration, that's bound to stick with you for a lifetime.

@Donotbelieve same hope here

Someone once told me I was intelligent. Since then there have been plenty of examples to disprove his observations. But the compliment was nice.

@jioo087 I was trying to inject humor.

The Medical Physicist who was performing my wife's radiation therapy. I told her about an idea to make radiation therapy sasfer, and more effective. She turned to my wife and said "I am trying to convince your husband to pursue his doctorate." I am still tempted.

Sure....

My daughter often remarks that if she were stranded on a remote island, she would like me to be there, for my ability to improvise, fix and create things.

I am a typical Brit. Therefore we only compliment each other sarcastically otherwise it just feels weird.

Only when my teenage daughter told a friend that I am one of the smartest people she knows. Obviously, she didn't know that I was walking past her bedroom door when she said it. I never told her that I heard it either.

JimG Level 8 Apr 10, 2018

@Donotbelieve I was pretty shocked. That will always be a very sweet memory.

In the interest of honesty about my age, she was a teenager when she said that. She isn't now.

That I don't look half as bad as I smell.

I love that kind of comment - it appeals to my warped sense of humour.

That I am "good company."

A few years back my chemistry professor pulled me off to the side after I turned in my final exam and said "I know you plan on becoming a nurse and there is nothing wrong with that, but know you're smart enough to do anything you want to do so don't settle"

I'll never forget that because its the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me.

Yes. Apparently I'm caring, loving, accepting, compassionate, give excellent hugs and kisses. 🙂

Once while discussing some problems I was having, a good friend said, “well, you’ll be fine. You always roll with the punches”. It was the way he said it, with such confidence, like it was the most obvious thing. It gave me strength then and I continue to draw on it.

Nope. I try not to hold onto stuff like that. Releasing attachments, equanimity, and all.

Yes every day ,it's a cross I have to bare.lol

I've had a number of my professors at college complain to me that I made them feel stupid, so I suppose that's a sort of a compliment.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:54507
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.