Agnostic.com

6 7

Date Nut Bread - from Health Magazine

Half whole wheat, this bread is tender, moist and hearty. Only 325 calories per slice. Have been adjusting the recipe to make it more flavorful.

The original recipe called for soaking the dates in hot strong coffee. Ick. Coffee made the bread taste bitter, so I changed it to hot water.

1 cup chopped pitted dates
1 cup pecans or walnuts
½ cup hot water
1 cup whole wheat flour. (I used whole wheat pasty flour.)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp. cinnamon
½ tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. salt
7 Tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
¾ cup packed dark brown sugar
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 tsp. almond extract

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees with rack in the middle. Grease a 9”x 5” loaf pan, preferably a light-colored metal pan. Place dates and hot coffee in a heatproof bowl, cover and let stand until dates are softened, about 25 minutes. Drain dates, reserving liquid, and let cool.

2. Whisk flours, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir in nuts. (Coating nuts with flour prevents them from sinking to the bottom.)

3. Using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat butter and brown sugar, scraping down sides of bowl as needed, until light, about 3 minutes. Add applesauce, eggs, vanilla, almond extract and reserved liquid from dates until well combined. Gently mix in dates. (Don’t worry if the mixture looks curdled.)

4. Add flour mixture, gently mixing by hand just until combined.

5. Spread batter in prepared pan, and bake until a cake tester inserted in center comes out with crumbs adhering to it, about 1 hour.

6. Let cool slightly in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then transfer to rack to cool completely. Cut bread into slices. Wrap leftovers tightly and store at room temperature or freeze.

PER SERVING: 325 calories, 13g fat (6g saturated fat), 59mg chol, 4g. fiber, 6g protein, 49g carb, 183mg sodium, 2mg Iron, 67mg Calcium.

LiterateHiker 9 Oct 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm sure it tastes great, but is not gluten free and uses whole wheat and all purpose flour, which is wheat and unless stated otherwise, this is GMO wheat flour from Monsanto, which means it will have residues of Roundup in it.. I know. some of you will immediately attack the messenger, but Roundup is poison. If not almond sensitive, almond flour would work or tigernut flour. I have a patient now whose hands are all red, inflamed and cracked because of wheat. And another young woman who becomes almost psychotic with tremors when triggered by gluten.

@Healthydoc70

Calm down. I use organic flours.

@LiterateHiker I am calm, Kathleen. Organic wheat is still wheat and contains gluten, a potent lectin for many.

@Healthydoc70

My daughter is allergic to wheat.

@LiterateHiker sorry to hear. Like I posted before, I often use coconut, almond, cassava, and or tigernut flour, which I am fine with.

Looks very yummy been a long while since i have had one

There you go being creative again, I've never really been into the nuts and dates in breads and it does look tasty, 😉 but I've been kicking around the thought of cinnamon rolls. 🤭

Think I'll try that, then thickly spread the slices with butter.

looks delicious

Looks yummy, however 325 calories per slice seems to be a lot to me. Perhaps if one was to tweak the ingredients a bit................

@Jolanta

I need the calories. Am down to 112 lbs.

As a 5' 5" tall with an ectomorph body type, I need to keep my weight up.

@LiterateHiker Well I am happy to give you at least 10 of my kilos. What is the address please that I can send them to?

@Jolanta

No, thank you.

@LiterateHiker Oh, you are so ungrateful.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:545197
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.