Agnostic.com

10 12

LINK Pope calls for civil union laws for same-sex couples - CNN

The vicious curs from the fundamentalist religious community are going to lose their minds. Catholics are going to call this Pope to be removed, that can't happen. As Joe Biden once said "This is a big fucking deal"

barjoe 9 Oct 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Now if they would only condemn the pedophiles

Sounds good to me! Of course, given what Benedict XVl said, the ridiculousness of Papal infallibility is right out there to be mocked.

My hope is that the Catholic lemmings with gay family members will now stop abusing/rejecting them.

Wow wait til the new catholic justice appointee nutcase hears about this crap, she'll freak out!

I thought the same thing.

Fuck her! Well, not literally, or you might loose a part of your anatomy!

@BirdMan1 pass.

So close, but not close enough. He needs to get with the times.

Pope Francis indicates support for same-sex civil unions

[bbc.com]

Pope expresses support for same-sex civil union laws in new documentary

[france24.com]

Not close enough for you.

@barjoe
Nope. He needs to be backing marriage equality, not civil unions.

@xenoview Is that what he needs to do? He could've said nothing.

@barjoe
Yes, he could have done more.

Not really. He went all out on this one.

@barjoe
I guess civil unions is a small step in the right direction.

@xenoview There you go.

This atheist's favorite pope:

"The papal thumbs-up came midway through the film that delves into issues Francis cares about most, including the environment, poverty, migration, racial and income inequality, and the people most affected by discrimination." [time .com]

I believe in coalition politics. If another group agrees with me on a particular issue, supporting that issue together makes progress more likely. On another issue, like spreading Catholicism or any religion, I may not agree and go my own way or even oppose the same group that was an ally on the other issue.

In politics, I don't want to alienate potential allies. United Church of Christ, Unitarian Universalist, and other liberal denominations were right there marching alongside for reproductive rights and gay rights. Categories like Christian, atheist, etc. are awfully large and diverse.

So, I welcome the pope's statement.

We each have as much authority as the Pope, but sadly no one will acknowledge that fact.

Seems to me that giving them civil union is just throwing them a cracker to shut them up, to avoid acknowledging their equality. They should have EXACTLY the same rights as hetero couples. Anything less is discrimination and the pope is just doing this as a way to avoid the inevitable. They talk about protecting the sanctity of marriage between male and female. Bullshit, that ship sailed long before we had such crap as "marriage at first sight".

This is a big step even if its not good enough for you. It has nothing to do with secular laws in different countries. He's the spiritual leader of 1.2 billion Catholics. I don't know why anybody want to get married. I think it's stupid for straight people. My opinion, most people disagree.

@barjoe I agree about marriage and said the same thing to some gay friends. Their response was that they agree, but they should have the same choice as others. It's hard to see any flaws in that argument.

@Cyklone They want benefits for property, bank accounts, etc. in case one of them dies. If you spend all that time together you don't want the law to be against you in these.

@barjoe Yes...but...the Pope implies that same-sex couples can't have the SANCTITY of a religious marriage. And I'll call "bull" on that. They should have every single option available to you and me!

@LucyLoohoo It may not be enough for you but it's a big fucking deal. Huge.

All I care about is that gay couples have equal marriage rights under civil law. I don't care if they can or can't get married in the church (although some of them may care). So the pope's statement is a positive in my view.

@nicestuff Perhaps, if what you believe is true. But who said that a civil union would give equal marriage rights and why should they settle for less. That's like freeing the slaves but not letting them ride the same bus, or use the same facilities, because they're still not equal. Sometimes half measures are worse than no measures because it takes the pressure off the need to act.

@Cyklone
Maybe it depends on local or state legal codes to some extent - I'm not a lawyer. Are there different levels of civil marriage rights in the same jurisdiction? I think that civil marriage does give all the rights and privileges that any other civil-marriage couple has - inheritance, visitation, taxes, etc.

I don't see what additional privileges a church-recognized marriage gives, outside of the church's membership benefits - being buried in the church cemetery, charity from the church, whatever.

@nicestuff If it's exactly the same then why isn't it called the same thing?

@Cyklone I'm afraid I'm just not understanding what you are getting at, or if you are misunderstanding me. I guess it's rather arbitrary of me to say I don't care about how bigoted a church acts within its own domain - but maybe its own poison will only hurt itself in the long run. However, I'm 100% for legal equality in the public domain, and immediately.

P.S. And any church that does fully accept gays, well, that's a good thing. I just don't expect conservative denominations to change quickly.

@nicestuff fair enough 🙂

About time he said it.

I doubt it will change anyone's mind about this topic.

I don't believe in God. To me the Pope is just another guy. There are a billion people who believe the Pope is infallible. Yes, there are people maybe not in Whitney, Texas, but many Catholics on this planet who will be influence by this Papal Statement.

@barjoe Perhaps.

@jlynn37 Matthew 16:18, Jesus says to Peter, 'And so I say to you, you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my Church, and the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it.' Whereby the Pope, as "head of the college of bishops," enjoys papal infallibility. There are 1.2 billion Catholics and according to Kinsey that means 100 million of them are gay.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:545524
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.