Agnostic.com

7 13

LINK The Amazing Randi, Famed Magician and Escapologist, Dies at 92 | Hollywood Reporter

""I'm a liar, a cheat and a charlatan,but at least I know it." - The Amazing Randi (August 7, 1928 - October 20, 2020)

For me, he was the original skeptic. WAY more influential than Dawkins or Hawkins or anyone else at debunking the mythos of religion and superstition because he knew the magic, he knew the tricks.

I remember Uri Geller and Johnny Carson.
I remember his (as of yet unclaimed) million dollar challenge to anyone that could prove the supernatural.
I remember a documentary about him and his life partner, Deyvi Peña; a person with whom he shared a good portion of his life but only admitted it in 2010.

What a inspiration he must be for us all on a site called "agnostic".
If you don't know him, please, please, please... do yourself a favor and do a deep dive on him. You'll be glad you did.

TheMiddleWay 8 Oct 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

In the early 80's a friend gave me "Flim Flam" to read just as I was begining to break away from the Orthodox cult I had grown up in. It opened my eyes to skeptisim and critical thinking and I've loved James Randi ever since.

I've heard of Dawkins but who is this Hawkins person to which you refer?

James Randi was an amazing man.

At 92 he had a good run and he will be missed.

He will be missed!

I loved this guy! He was an original. Long before Penn Jilette there was the Amazing Randi. I never knew about Deyvi Peña, so much to learn. RIP, James.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:545604
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.