Agnostic.com

6 2

I'm not on here a lot anymore but I remember there was someone who worked in L.A. / Hollywood building models and sets for movies, etc. I picked up (not an easy feat) a couple of concrete lion statues (for free) that need serious repairs and resurfacing. I'd like to get some tips on how to approach this: what kind of materials to use, how to apply them and in what order. These are huge, weighing about a couple hundred pounds each. I'd like to do a good job, structurally and aesthetically. Thanks!

AlbertSchepis 7 Oct 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Sorry I didn't upload these earlier. Both have their left front legs broken; perhaps a weakness/design flaw. Pretty sure they are from the same original casting or molding. So far I bought a quart of bonding solution and a tube of anchoring epoxy/adhesive. Too tired to get up and go look; like I said these fellas are like 200 lbs each. I had to fix my dolly to get the 2nd one off the truck; bought a wheel, then had to find the push nut to hold the wheel on, then had to fix the gate I rarely use, lost the wrench to put it back on, etc, etc. The usual if anything can go wrong it will kind of days.

Yes, that's her, thank you skado. She's not active but this might not be something she does anyway. As I said I joined and left a message on Artists, Masterminds, Makers and Creators, too.

@AlbertSchepis
Concrete is not a common medium in that business. They typically use a lot of synthetics. FearlessFly’s links have some good tips. Will be interesting to see the photos.

The member is CaroleKay......

jasen Level 8 Oct 23, 2020

Thank you. Yeah that sounds familiar, I'll check that now.
And yes she's still a member just not as active (like me). I left her a message and joined the group Artists, Masterminds, Makers, and Creators.
Thank you Jasen.

Yes...I remember her too but can’t remember her username. Sounds like you have a bit of a project on your hands!

Yeah, it's been a project just getting them off my truck and positioned in my yard. One is still on the truck as I type this. I'll do that today and take photos to put here.

@AlbertSchepis Yes...please do.

. . . search terms "concrete lion statues,need serious repairs and resurfacing" :

. . . the top results . . .

[realhomes.com]

[washingtonpost.com]

[pinterest.com]

[hunker.com]

I haven’t seen her around in a long time, but I used to work in the same industry. A lot might depend on particulars; some pics might help.

skado Level 9 Oct 23, 2020

Thanks, skado. I'll take some pics tomorrow after I get them out of my pickup and siting in my yard. I think I made a mistake but I always wanted some statues... these are just so friggin heavy.
I'll put photos here today, Sunday 10/25.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:545961
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.