Agnostic.com

14 3

LINK When religion is more important then education?

Interesting read on what happens under an extreme focus on religion at the cost of other aspects of education.

Will admit, why I believe in a strong standard for education in this country and cringe at the idea of exemptions or weakening them as a personal choice. A common education is one of the bonds that ties a society together encouraging inclusion rather then division.

Thoughts? Comments?

RPardoe 7 Apr 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Catholics seem to think they are inseperable.

Education is the foundation for everything

Wow. Had no idea the Hasidic community had schools not providing adequate high school courses and that the community relies on federal and NY social programs to exist. In Israel the Chasidim used to be excluded from paying taxes and serving in the military. I do not know if these requirements are still being waived. I call on NY state to do something to fight the lobbyists and get these kids a quality academic education.

there was a doct. on PBS during the winter. And Richard Dawkins has a show where he went and interviewed the school rabbi.... I was shocked that the educational system lets any religion get away with this!!! I feel for the children and women.... disturbingly sick. But it KEEPS THEM CAPTIVE

When I was going through grade school, I believe there was widespread agreement on what constitutes a good education. And I feel, increasingly, that I did get an excellent education although in a rural area. Relligion was Nowhere to be found except when in 1953 they added "under gawd" to the Pledge of Allegiance, and I distinctly remember many adults being greatly upsey by it. It was the McCarthy witchhunt era. One of the things we got, at every grade level, was a firm understanding of Why separation of church & state was so important....yet here came Gawd (whose gawd?) into the classroom!

This isnt new. The AMISH and I believe THE MENNONITE communities have been granted exemptions for their youths and education. Eight grade or so is the only level that they have to achieve.

Education is ALWAYS more important than religion.

Wow. I had no idea… This is terrible… again, child abuse sanctioned by religion. Ugh.

The writer's educational, or rather indoctrinational, experience should be the greatest testimony to why even religious schools must meet the standards set by the state. Exempting them is a travesty and a disservice to the students.

It's never more important. Ever.

Never

What counts as education? If it's simply imparting a view of the world, is there a real difference between dogmatic religious indoctrination and objective scientific information-passing? Yes, but, while I am sure there is a clear dividing-line between the two, it is not easy to define it or to say who gets to draw it.

To replace flasehoods and myths with facts education will always have a need.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:54758
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.