Agnostic.com

27 4

What are your thoughts on banned books?

The American Library Association (ALA) has tracked book challenges, which are attempts to remove or restrict materials, since 1990. Last year, the ALA recorded 323 reported book challenges in the United States, a 17% increase from the 275 reported challenges in 2015. In most years, about 10% of the reported challenges result in removal or ban from the school or library. However, in 2016, five of the top ten most challenged books were removed. The ALA estimates that only about 18% of challenges are reported to its Office for Intellectual Freedom, meaning that the actual number of attempts to ban books is likely much higher.

TheInterlooper 7 Apr 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

27 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My first thought is who is doing the banning?
Why is it being banned?

Fastest way to get me to read a book!

BillF Level 7 Apr 10, 2018

Banning/barring/blocking words doesn't make them go away.

Prohibition didn't get rid of alcohol, book banning doesn't get rid of idea.

Freedom of speech anyone?

I have been in agreement with the ALA's position on banning books for many years: no books should be banned.

I think it's a terrible practice.

Books should not be banned, not even if I disagree with what is written in them. Censorship is not okay.

Deb57 Level 8 Apr 10, 2018

Banning books is a horrible idea and solves absolutely nothing.

Shocking

Coldo Level 8 Apr 10, 2018

I try to read them first.

Iffy Level 5 Apr 10, 2018

What color are the bands?

Yeah, and are they stretchy like rubber or are we talking rigid metal bands? On second thought, a metal band would be kicked out of a library for being too loud.

Authoritarian governments that ban books are an abomination.

Athos Level 5 Apr 27, 2018

Why is the book banned? That's a question that has to be asked.

Exactly my thought, what are the criteria and how often are they reviewed as society changes?

I have a lanyard that reads “I’m with the Banned” a play on banned books and band as in music.

Banned books are the best books.

Censorship sucks and is totally wrong. No matter who is doing it, or why.

This book is bad for you. Says the person who has read it.

When dictators take over , the first thing they do , is burn books and dispose of the educated people . Admittedly , there are books that are so very ugly , that I do wish they were burned . On the hand , I think some instances , banning a specific book , only makes them more tempting to some readers . There are some books which , in another period of time , were banned , but which are now on the required reading lists . in some schools and colleges . I believe , "To Kill a Mocking Bird , " fit that last bit , and it was about a trial in the deep south . In some periods of time , it was the Catholic Church that published lists of banned books . As strange as it may seem , for a long period of time , the Bible was not written in a language the parrishners understood . Of course , these days , information is broadcast over the internet , and some of what is routinely published electronically , can be terrorists orientated , and threatens life , as we know it .

I can freely read the Bible, Das Capital, and Mein Kampf. These three have arguably caused more grief for humanity than any other three texts.
In light of that banning anything else seems trivial.

I remember reading a true story about a book that was banned 'The sorrows of young Werther' in l775 .The hero kills himself due to unrequited love and it set off a chain reaction in real life of young men reading it and copycatting -

Knowledge is power. Banning books? That's fucking ridiculous.

When it comes to freedom of speech and self-expression, books are the written form of these things...and should not be held back from public access.

I make a point to try to read books that were or are banned. Most of the time I wonder "Whay was the big deal?"

Banning books is a key tenet of an undemocratic political system.

Fahrenheit 350, coming soon to a trump-sponsored rally near you! Unless you get your ass out & VOTE!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:54772
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.