Agnostic.com

30 3

Does it matter how a gift is wrapped or is it only the gift that matters?

Aralt 7 Apr 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

30 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Does it even matter that it is wrapped?

I thought it was the thought that mattered

Sometimes it matters...

As a woman I love the idea that a man took the time to wrap a gift for me. It tells me alot about how he perceives me.

I am one that rarely receives gifts so the thought of giving a gift should be really matters. You cared enough to think of me. The gift is just icing on the cake.

Depends on the person receiving I'd say. A great gift can be given in the store bag and still appreciated though.

A simple bow is fine, just makes things a bit more special

Does it matter how you say something, or only the words that matter?

MsAl Level 8 Apr 11, 2018

I find that presentation helps show meaning.
A gumball machine jewelry wrapped beautifully with a meaningful note could be much more meaningful than just handing over a diamond necklace and expecting praise.

I've never been one to wrap things beautifully or say things right way though

It is the thought that counts. I couldn't care less how or if a gift is wrapped.

The extra thought is nice. I know my husband always had extra helpings of me. He made sure to consider the beautiful wrapping. It's all about presentation also.

I so rarely wrap anymore. I buy cheap gift bags, a bit of tissue paper, and let it go. The gift bags are reuseable too.

Doesn't matter to me and I don't give gifts, I give cash.

It's the gift that counts.

Depend on what the gift is of is it the gift itself or the wrapping
99% the wrapping is torn off and chucked away

Rosh Level 7 Apr 11, 2018

My family has a habit of giving gifts in bags, as we're all terrible at wrapping.

The gift matters.

Being transmale, I see gift wrapping a big waste of time and money, but women seem to expect it, even if they simply toss the wrappings immediately.

Also gift giving for birthdays and Christmas is annoyingly silly. I agree with Sheldon of the Big Bang Theory that if you buy someone a gift, that person then feels obligated to give you a gift of the same monetary value, and the gifts are likely to be nothing either of you really wants.

My solution? Before a birthday, I ask that person directly which item (s) on Amazon they'd most prefer, then I have it gift wrapped and sent to their home with a card (all provided on Amazon).

They, in turn, know to just get me an Amazon gift card so I can keep happily buying Kindle books.
But, Sheldon is still right..our gifts just cancel each other out.

Big Bang Theory Gift Giving

Heck give them a towel with the gift and wrap it in that! (And a bit of ribbon).

I have two sisters who are so particular about wrapping. This year they finally realized my method of stuffing in a gift bag was So.Much.Easier! Also I feel gift bags are reusable and have no problem getting one I gave back.

I also spent one pre-Christmas wrapping gifts for people at a store. "The messier the better!" many told me - "They'll think I wrapped it!".

Only exception might be a ring - and the store will wrap that for you!

The gift to me. Some people seem to care about wrapping. I definitely don't.

If you are optimistic enough even a gift wrapped chunk of manure can be used as fertilizer.

I would be happy to get one in a paper bag - some people are all fingers and thumbs at wrapping stuff especially awkward shapes it is an art to be learnt - so it sthe though always that counts.

It isn't the gift as such.. to me, anyway. It's the feeling behind it. 😉

Only the gift matters

ebdb Level 7 Apr 11, 2018

Doesn't everyone just throw them in a pretty bag nowdays?

@Aralt l bet they liked the gift anyway. 🙂

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:54869
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.