Agnostic.com

10 17

Today's Hike: Golden Northern Larch and a personal record.

Today Karen and I drove up to Mission Ridge Ski Area to see golden Northern Larch. It was raining. Boo! Storms hang around mountains.

"It's not raining over there," Karen said, pointing. "Let's hike above Squilchuck State Park."

She was right. Although it was windy, there was no rain. We hiked up to a ridge just below an old, gravel service road. Walking through a lovely meadow, we heard a truck above us screech to a stop.

"Hunters!" Karen said. "Let's get out of here!" We ran downhill, out of sight.

Although we were wearing bright orange jackets, we know rednecks shoot at anything that moves. Last Fall, we found a large owl shot dead beside a trail. Heartbreaking and illegal.

Northern Larch are one of only two conifers in North America that lose their needles in the Fall. For one glorious week, Northern Larch needles turn bright gold. Golden Week.

We hiked 7.5 miles with over 1,000 feet of elevation gain (and loss).

Drumroll...

This brings my 2020 hiking mileage to 296.5 miles with 69,571 feet of elevation gain (and loss). Almost to 300 miles! (Yes, I keep hiking logs on Excel.)

The most I ever hiked was in 2017: 326 miles with 63,209 feet of elevation gain (and loss). Despite the pandemic, looks like I will beat my record this year.

LiterateHiker 9 Nov 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Another beautiful outing for you two,such gorgeous scenery and vistas ,who would not want to be out and about .The Larch is known as "Tamarack"in our area in Ontario ,Know where there are quite a few stands

Missouri used to have a website to log miles on our trails. Since our most famous trail (Katy trail) traverses the entire state, it's kind of a fun thing. I stunk this year but last year I did 250. They attempt to get everyone to make 100. I might make 200 this year yet....I should anyway. They took away the login feature and now just try to get everyone to choose healthier ways to live. Laziness rules...

[katytrailmo.com]

It has little elevation but it's a pretty walk along the river and I can walk to the thing from home. Literally only 1.5 miles to get to it.

@Larimar

Good for you!

Great photos. I would love to visit the area sometime. Great to see some natural woodland still existing. Hopefully now Trump will not now be able to desecrate it as he is hoping to do in Alaska.
I think I mentioned this before. As an arboriculturalist i was interested in the "northern larch"you describe. Is this a local name as I understand that the only two larches growing in that area are Western larch (Larix occidentalis) and Sub alpine larch (larix Lyallii } ?.

@Morovian

As you know, there are different regional names:

Northern Larch, deciduous conifers, Western Larch, Subalpine Larch, Tamarack, Golden Larch, etc.

Washington residents call the tree "Northern Larch" and the Cascade Mountains "the Cascades."

@LiterateHiker Yes as the article says, the two larch species found in Washington are Sub Alpine larch and Western larch. The Sub Alpine being confined to the higher slopes obviously. The range of Tamarack is further north and east.
Deciduous conifers include all the larches plus a few others including swamp or bald cypress.
Northern larch is not a species and must be a local name to describe any larch sp.
Golden larch is native to China and would not be found here.

Lovely. Can we please have a photo of the "famous" Karen one day, please.

@Jolanta

Karen (left) and Gro (right).

@LiterateHiker Thanks for those photos. It looks like so much hard word while I have another cake and a cup of tea.

Great job -- keep walking! 😀

When we were making animal tracking collars, one of our customers told us of a ranger story he'd heard. The rangers stopped at a hunter's camp in the SE and found a shot, protected, lynx hanging -- in camp -- with a tracking collar still around its neck. The researcher heard the story when the rangers returned the collar to him.
Not only are hunters destructive life takers, they can be remarkably stupid as well.

@RichCC

So sad. Lynx are endangered.

I hope the hunters were charged, heavily fined and sent to prison.

I love hiking ... was hooked by my grandfather as a little kid, growing up in northern California. Alas, I could never keep up with you today ... you are a hiking 'minor deity!' Love these reports, except the part about the owl--my favorite raptor!

@p-nullifidan

I love owls, too.

I'm a hiking minor deity? Jokingly, I call us Hiking Goddesses, H.G. for short.

@LiterateHiker I was going to say that, but thought it might be ... misinterpreted. 🙂

May beat your record because of the pandemic.

Awesome achievement Kathleen! I love the golden larches.

@Robert_2001

Thank you, Robert.

That explains why you are in such good ‘looking’ shape.....

@Dhiltong

Thanks. I appreciate it.

Congrats very happy for you

@bobwjr

Thank you.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:549708
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.