Agnostic.com

9 22

“The more I learn about the universe, the less convinced I am that there's any sort of benevolent force that has anything to do with it, at all.“ - Neil deGrasse Tyson

gsiamne 8 Nov 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Nor malevolent. Few have said it better than one of my philosophical heroes:

"Nature, so long as we can discern, without passion and without intention, forms, transforms, and retransforms forever. She neither weeps nor rejoices. She produces man without purpose, and obliterates him without regret. She knows no distinction between the beneficial and the hurtful. Poison and nutrition, pain and joy, life and death, smiles and tears are alike to her. She is neither merciful nor cruel. She cannot be flattered by worship nor melted by tears. She does not know even the attitude of prayer. She appreciates no difference between poison in the fangs of snakes and mercy in the hearts of men. Only through man does nature take cognizance of the good, the true, and the beautiful; and, so far as we know, man is the highest intelligence."
Robert Green Ingersoll, The Gods, 1872

Simply Cause and Effect. In life if you make a bad cause, you will get a bad effect...or... a good cause begets a good effect. Everything that happens in the universe happens BECAUSE of something. Scientists have come to see that there is no chaos. If they delve deep enough they find patterns or reasons. It all makes sense. As to whether there is some intelligent deity overseeing this whole thing, that is beyond us and is irrelevant since we just have to deal with this system. That is enough to encompass morality, justice and life, in general.

More like sadist God

bobwjr Level 10 Nov 10, 2020

Why does anyone thing anything God would be benevolent?

Word Level 8 Nov 10, 2020

Only propaganda I know much about religiously is about helping widows and orphans in need and avoiding worldly corruption. James 1:27

For that matter a force. What did Pacino say, “he’s an absently landlord”

God seems too small for the universe.

I'm not sure what the universe is. It might have always been here and I see no evidence of gods or any sort of order to it other than orbits of bodies within it.

The universe, IMO, is neither benevolent nor malevolent. It offers opportunities to wannabe benefactors and wannabe malefactors.

There is one that I know of. That is mankind.

An extraordinarily violent place heading towards nothingness. Some design...

Mvtt Level 7 Nov 10, 2020

Even an act of destruction can be an act of creation. The big bang created our universe.

@Julie808 The big bang didn’t create our universe.

A Catholic priest, Georges LeMaitre, created the big bang.

At www.newtoeu.com there’s a free PDF you can download and read.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:551343
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.