Agnostic.com

34 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

34 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Certainly possible..........but probably won’t be for decades, if ever.

Under the U.S. Constitution, such religious words should not be forced on us. We must not be forced to say them, or have them on our money.

Not in our time but it will happen.

Sure, we can discuss it any time, but reversing these McCarthy-era, Cold War laws passed by Congress may take an act of, well, let's just say a majority of sub-deities. The words 'under God' were added to the Pledge of Allegiance in 1954 and "In God We Trust" was made the national motto in 1956, and appeared on paper money the following year (it had been stamped on coins since the 19th century). Since it's easier to elect a pedophile or rapist to higher office than it is an atheist, I doubt Congress will ever come to its senses and realize the error of its ways.

If it was talked about when they added it it can be talked about now. As annoying as it is it won't be around much longer in a cashless society.

Suggested replacement "Have faith in Humanity"

To me it just sounded better "one nation indivisible with liberty and justice for all" of course then again in my opinion substitute Earth for nation. 🤔 They're just words anyhow I get off your ass and do something it helps more. 😉😁

I don't think kids should be forced to pledge their allegiance to anything.

Well it’s hardly a long standing tradition, I guess you’ll change it when the government influencers are ready:
History of the pledge: [en.m.wikipedia.org]
God mentioned on currency:
[treasury.gov]

This is very literally THE LAST thing on the list. I mean dead bottom. So far down the list its nearing the earth's core.

Probably not until religion dies out. 😳

It's only been on there since 1953, thanks to Joseph McCarthy

I doubt it and really do not worry about it much. What I worry about more is all the police cars with words to that effect on their bumpers. I have problems with what that means. Do they pray before doing something or shooting the suspect? Maybe they are like Dog the Bounty Hunter. IDK. "Prey" should be the word used here in many cases.

Agree, the FFRF is constantly fighting these things. They seem minor but add up. And once normalized, it makes it harder to fight

Yes. That time is now. We can and should discuss it and some day, we won't have any more money or monuments. Problem solved.

It can happen. Keep bringing it up in social media and get the word out. Frankly we need “ e pluribus unum” now more than ever. It may seem minor, but it is inroads for religions that must be constantly defended against....

@Canndue

Yes, e pluribus unum is the perfect slogan for this country.

@RoboGraham e pluribus duo?

@yvilletom

No one, we are one.

@RoboGraham Two. Blue and gray at one time but the gray states turned red and we now have blue states and red states.

@yvilletom

And all the reds and the blues and everyone else are Americans. We are one people.

@RoboGraham You wrote above "someday" and then "problem solved".
Your saying "we are one" is a comforting ideology, but it's blinding you to:

1. the US Civil War body count, approx 750,000,
  2. the actions now of America's haters, such as racists, and
  3. the Covid 19 hoaxers who are refusing to take precautions to protect other Americans.

@yvilletom

Right, the Civil War, the war of American's against Americans. Do you think a people cannot have a war amongst themselves? If I get into a feud with my cousin, are we no longer family?

I said someday there will be no more monuments and money. What's your point?

According to a barman that I met in NY many years ago, I understand that "In God We Trust" is printed on your currency because everybody else has to pay.......

Only if the general population of the US grows up. They haven't managed it in the entire run of US history so far.

P.S. "In God we trust, everybody else pays cash."

Yes, but probably not in my lifetime.

"Ever "is a long, long time.

For now, and the past 65 years this minor pyrrhic and symbolic annoyance is affordable compared to other, real liberty limiting other encroachments made by theological fanaticism on our secular laws and government. It really is low priority.

The majority, so far, in this country aren't bothered by it because they are believers. As enlightenment expands in it's many directions this, like theology itself, will become obsolete and fall by the wayside with little opposition.

Retirement of our original 'from many, one' motto was more damaging to our society that what replaced it. The bitter harvest of the loss is now upon us via absence of desire to emulate our evolving mainstream unified culture to higher valuation of cultural roots, differentiations and identity enclaves producing deep divisions.

Turning our national loyalty pledge virtually into an act of worship came conveniently on the heels of imperial executive action committing our military to combat under a LIE called 'policing'. Foreign wars began to be unconstitutionally prosecuted at that point, going unchallenged ever since. They have been more ideologically (religiously) justified than politically. War for us became almost as much a theological duty to fulfill our 'under God' mandate as a means of rational, political, national defense.

By usurping Congressional (the people) control of whether sufficient reason existed for sacrificing our children on the altar of the war god, our would-be emperor President Truman began a trend that was all the more easier to justify half a dozen years later with claiming 'God's' divine endorsement of superiority in an erstwhile strictly secular oath. God and the executive branch have teamed-up many times since to bypass the peoples' approval in shedding of the people's blood.

Returning power where it belongs is a far more urgent priority than changing a few words that are merely part of the problem of concentrated, illegitimate use of power.

Sadly... Not in my lifetime.

Leelu Level 7 Nov 11, 2020

Since god was added into the pledge of allegiance in 1955, it can be removed easily!!

One of the worst things I remember about growing up with Christian parents: going through puberty (horny constantly) and being taught sex is nasty and shameful!

We are having enough trouble staying within the parameters of the rule of law. Take those phrases out and the masses will have a free for all.

JZBEE Level 4 Nov 11, 2020

"In god we trust" wasn't added to our money until 1956 when the right-wing christians got congress to change our national motto. If we wait for christians or the right-wing people to give us permission to change it back then it will never happen. Why not start a movement to restore our national motto to it's original "e pluribus unum"?

who gives a shit if it says under god or not not me

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:551676
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.