Agnostic.com

3 5

Does society have a problem with Reward v Reserve?

I sometimes come across posts on social media from people who announce that they've changed their perspectives on things they often had no business forming judgment on. Or that they've flipped their entire ideology after having an epiphany through some kind of harrowing introspective rumination. Often from information pertaining to their biases that they've failed to critically consider before.

In other words, they've "seen the light", have realized that their former views were harmful to people and the world as a whole, and have jumped into yet another echo chamber with the obvious appeal to "belong" once more.

One post that comes to mind was from a former self-described Nazi who had spent the majority of his adult life terrorizing minorities, disparaging women and destroying their property. He recently came to the realization that his reasons for doing so were to "fit in" with the supremacist group he considered his friends (who ultimately didnt care if he showed up or not).
Another was of an evangelical pastor who admitted that he received compensation from wealthy donors for many years to preach fearmonger to his congregation and sway them towards political fascism. Trump taking office was his realization that his actions indeed had consequences.
Both of these men confessed their regrets and desire to change. These kinds of posts were usually popular, liked, shared and upvoted.

I'll acknowledge that reward seeking behavior is natural. But depending on the situation, what's natural is not always appropriate.

Does a person or people who've left behind their harmful former ideologies deserve to be praised simply for transitioning to a better rationale without first working to reverse the negative deposits they've contributed to their communities?

Is it a hallmark of vestigial tribalism to still require validation for merely cultivating your own philosophical development... as any person should? I'm not suggesting that they don't deserve respectful acknowledgment of their growth, but I'm very reserved on giving applause to people like this who've yet to demonstrate any kind of net positive.

I'm a bit torn on the appropriate response, as it's always a delight to know that someone has finally broken through their old ceiling, but something about the need to glean favor for such transitions is.... off-putting in a way. As if the reason they're doing so (and publicly) is because of the changes they perceive in the vox populi, and not the grief of their own conscience.

summatyme 7 Nov 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Perhaps I’m off here, but it seems like this is more a matter of values. For example let’s say you are a liberal and value the contribution from people working for change (protesters, organizers, activists etc) . You see a former fascist getting a lot of praise and attention for no real effort, thus less value. However the liberal movement values that individual as a tool to lure other fascists to “convert”.

True, such things may be vanity projects and/or rattlings in an echo chamber.

But, you also have to remember that there is a real thing called leading by example, both intentionally and unintentionally. Especially, many such people must be well aware of just how much courage and determination it takes to escape, and how much therefore such examples are worth to those still struggling.

I recall from my youth the story in Luke of the Pharisee and the Publican (tax collector), which basically castigates the immodest and public display of false humility on the part of the Pharisee. I try not to judge when I see public confessions, even though my gut distrusts the motives of these apparently remorseful individuals. I feel safe in saying, however, that for every conspicuous confession by the self-absorbed, there are an order of magnitude more deeds of private, personal and sincere acts of humility, pleas of forgiveness and, to use a religious term, soul-searching.

Coincidence. This came out today for a new book.

[yahoo.com]

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:552216
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.