Agnostic.com

10 7

LINK NJ Court: Study of Islam in Geography Class Is Not Religious Indoctrination | Val Wilde | Friendly Atheist | Patheos

Last week, a New Jersey middle school breathed a sigh of relief after a two-and-a-half year court case that attracted national attention finally came to a close.

A federal district court ruled that lessons about Islam at Chatham Middle School did not amount to religious indoctrination and, therefore, did not violate the Establishment Clause.

snytiger6 9 Nov 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I would not mind it if it was in a religious studies course.

It's more like just defining the area of the former Ottoman Empire. You know geography with maps.

@snytiger6 again, would not mind that

It seems odd to me ,that in the name of science(education) that any religion would be a issue, since all that non-sense is unobservable and therefor a poor choice for any discussion concerning geography.

They should stop waisting time and money in any religion. There is too much to do to clean the planet.

You reminded me when I had to study Philosophy while it should not be against Islam. And I had to write whatever goes with what Islam ask for.. it was hard to say something against Islam in an Islamic country especially in Philosophy the person might sound an Atheist trying to talk about the existance and how to prove that we exist. At the end i had to say verses in Quran to prove our existance and I passed.🤫

I would have to know more than the article presents but "basic information about Islam" is not indoctrination. This was a World History and Geography class and the area mentioned was mostly Islamic. Christians and others would have had to of bitched to brig this lawsuit on in the first place.

IMO, ANYTHING to do with religion does NOT belong nor have a place in education in Public Schools.
IF you want your child to receive religious instruction ( indoctrination) then pay for them to attend a school with a religious base instead and leave Public School Education to those who actually want to learn about REALTY, Logic, Reasoning and having Good and Decent Morals.

The hypocrites will try to find another way to stop whatever they don't like.

Reminiscent of "Mr. T" who used to be on South Park. He could joke about every other religion but not his!

"Chef", as voiced by the late Issac Hayes, didn't like it whenever South Park made fun of scientology. I think he even quit the show over it, before he died.
I don't remember Mr. T, but I'd stopped watching, so he could have been a character.

Mr T was never on south park

@redhog, @KKGator He did not like, and quit over, their goofing on Islam, as I recall it.

@BirdMan1 you recall incorrectly

The Christian Right would probably be upset about this. One of the few things I agree with them on. The hypocrisy would elude them.

The christian cult thinks the Establishment Clause was to establish christianity in 'merca.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:554441
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.