Agnostic.com

19 28

I have been very seriously ill during the last few months. (Note – I am NOT looking for sympathy. I am pleased to report I seem to be making a good recovery. I am still unwell and I have a long way to go but at the moment the signs are good).

I was admitted to hospital with heart failure, lung scarring and kidney disorder and then I suffered a stroke.

My point is this: When I realised I might not make it out alive I had the presence of mind to tell the head nurse that that no priests or other religious figures were to be involved in my case and I gave a short lecture about atheists in foxholes. Looking back I think it was a little unfair to put that on the staff but I feared my catholic family would organise it.

My recovery was completely due to the skill, dedication and professionalism of the hospital staff and not any sort of deity.

So, WELL DONE and THANK YOU to dedicated medical staff everywhere.

Happy Holiday season to you all and Good Health!

Sandster 7 Nov 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

19 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

good for you. but the 800 pound gorilla that dominated my similar recent hospital stay was the bureaucratic/veiled religious power structure that forced me and them into this "heroic" life at all costs care-dance of misery and huge expense. i too got out alive, through their incredible skill and dedication. (except for a certain very identifiable minority among them of them who must remain unnamed). whether the benefit of what life remains for me was worth the misery of those 5 months in hospital is a very good question. ........... viva netherlands, viva switzerland.

Glad you've recovered. It must be a great feeling to know you've survived.

May the force be with you!

Glad you're still among the living. You are right? This isn't the zombie apocalypse right?

Glad you're still among the living.
Wishing you as full a recovery as possible.

Hang in there friend, do the right by yourself, your health, etc, etc, and NEVER give up the fight to improve.

Happy to hear of your recovery. Thanking the medical staff is the best we can do. Be well.

Wishing you the best and it sounds like you did the right thing.

Good people/professionals are good and respectful. I'm happy to hear the news you shared.

Glad you are getting better

bobwjr Level 10 Nov 25, 2020

Glad to hear your recovering. You still in the hospital?

Congratulations on your recovery. Your description sounds like mostly symptoms; but what was the root cause of these problems?

I totally agree with you. If any thing is to be put into religious terms it is that all of these medical people, even the people who do maintance and mop the floors are angels. I do not know how else to tell of their greatness for the care and love they give. It is surely a sign of the highest efforts one can do to help others.

So glad things are improving for you. Wishing you the best.

Deb57 Level 8 Nov 25, 2020

Best wishes for you in your recovery

My atheist daughter knows exactly how I feel 🙂
And good on you for giving credit where it's due.

Do you look at life with different eyes now, after all that?

The doctors do thier part, but its the Nurses and staff that get us thru. Take care.

Wishing you the very best for a complete recovery and back to your normal life.

Write Comment More
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:555808
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.