Agnostic.com

55 9

Have you ever met anybody who actually believed the Earth was 6,000 years old?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

55 comments (51 - 55)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes and have also known people who believe though Earth's age might be a good deal more than 6,000 years, that people, our kind, Adam & Eve products, etc. are only about 6,000 years old.

I partially agree. About that time was a period that saw (relatively) rapid and wide-spread changes in the environment, primarily in the form of desertification. We know from Archeology and even some ancient writings that portions of the planet now largely desert were once fertile and abundant with animal life, water and vegetation.

Biblical writings, if not taken too literally, also describe a loss of Paradise and subsequent loss of status for females, blamed in fables for the ills of human kind. It isn't just limited to Genesis either. Look at poor Pandora! These staunch supporters of all that Patriarchy as afflicted us with, in a way of speaking are partially correct.

THEIR WORLD IS ONLY 6,000 YEARS OLD; not ours. The sooner their world succombs to it's self-inflicted miseries, now matter how painful, the better for the future of our kinid.

Homo sapiens sapiens is far older than 6,000 years. You sound like one of them.

@hemingwaykitten I thought you knew that our androcentric theological fanatic 'pastors' are a breed are above us.

@Silver1wun ???

I found a seashell about a hundred miles from beach in Turkey. I wish I had saved it to remind myself of the transitive nature of my short life in the grand scheme of things merely a mote.

@RDaneel You're a poet! Do you know it? ?

@hemingwaykitten nah just a retired English teacher chuckle

Every member of my family is a Southern Baptist, and all of them voted for Trump as well. All Baptists, many Pentecostal churches, and a few Wesleyan groups believe in literal bible interpretation (aka 6,000 year old earth.) "Community" churches are often literal bibliists as well. They may not advertise it, but such churches are EVERYWHERE in the U.S.

No

ebdb Level 7 Apr 11, 2018

Even if you've never met one, they are all over Waynesboro PA.
Grace Baptist Church
Antrim Faith Baptist Church
Liberty Baptist Church
Snow Hill Seventh Day Baptist Church
(Seventh Day Adventists are literalists as well.)

@hemingwaykitten I know there are Baptist churches in my area. Nice research!

Excellent question - I'm 50-years old, I've been to every state other than Alaska and Hawaii (can't hitch hike to either) and no, I have not met a single person that actually believed that and in my youth I attended a catholic school and was for some time even an alter boy. In that time period I never met a nun or a priest or a fellow alter boy or a worshipper that actually bought into that nonsense. I find that when people bring it up it's just to have fun at the expense of the person they're talking to - they simply love seeing their audience getting all worked up over nothing.

Catholics are wayyyy more reasonable than Fundy Protestants have ever been. The Vatican has an official Astronomy departnent and their clergy believes "possession" is a byproduct of mental illness. Many priests have psychology degrees or PhDs in psychiatry. With the exception of the Anglican/Episcopalian branch of Protestants, don't they all pretty much believe in the literal interpretation of the Bible?

Read my post above, these nuts are real.

Sorry... no one around me have these concerns. They're just common folk. They don't even know im agnostic... it's a need to know.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:55596
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.