Agnostic.com

3 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Well done. As Festinger pointed out, the coercive power of a cohesive group in which specific beliefs dominate, can lead one to lose contact with facts and reality if one wishes to (or has to) remain a member of the3 group.

The whole cognitive dissonance theory is only superficially correct, applying to the dimmest of Trump supporters. While some cognitive dissonance is there, a comparable disorder is how these people know the truth, but CHOOSE to oppose it because they know that in doing so, it angers their opposition. Offending basic sensibility is the object.

It is very likely that the red state populations will achieve and overshoot their herd immunity on account of their behavior. The 'brain fog' and other organ disease that comes with 'recovery' will be a small bit of justice.

-we will begin to justify the wisdom of our choice and find reasons to dismiss the alternative.

Pissing off the opposition is a reason, as you just stated. They're idiots who deserve to be pissed off, so we will.

I’m guessing it will be pretty difficult to tell if they are having “brain fog” or it is just typical Republican brain shut down.

I totally disagree. Festinger is one of the most well grounded social scientists EVER. I have read much of his academic work and did significant study in social psychology and group dynamics. The intellectual and factual proof behind the uidea of cognitive dissonance is there in depth. Please try to do your homework before disagreeing to greatly with quality factual and scientific work.

The right convinced people that the virus was no big deal. It's like smoking, they know it causes cancer but people still do it.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:556787
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.