Agnostic.com

4 1

Any Long Distance Relationship Stories?

I've been in an LDR for 11 years now. Sometimes I wish I had made a different choice for several reasons, but mostly because three to four visits a year just doesn't do me after so long. Neither of us are in a position to relocate.

How do you see these relationships? (should I use air quotes with that?) Any good or bad experiences to share?

TwistedMister 5 Nov 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

About 23 years ago I started a LDR with a wonderful girl in the interior of British Columbia. I lived in Calgary at the time, and our phone bills were atrocious (no Skype in those days, let alone high speed Internet). This went on for a few months, then lo and behold she lost her job. She always said that if she had to relocate, it would be Vancouver or Calgary. We're 21 years married now.

You never know how things are going to turn out.

When my late wife and I were married, we were teachers in South Korea. She taught at a university in Seoul, and I was in charge of a language program run by a steel company in Pohang, a city on the east coast. I was single during the week and married on the weekends, as we took turns making the five-hour train trip. When she was down my way, we would hike on Nam-san (South Mountain) in Kyongju, site of the ancient Buddhist Shila Dynasty. In Seoul, we would party around. I was quite happy with this arrangement, but we eventually moved on to another country, another teaching environment--and the realities of marriage.

I used to be in a long distance relationship for seven years. I was unhappy with my now ex husband and via internet got in touch with my first boyfriend. To make a very ling story short, we saw each other 3-4 times a year and every time it was like a honeymoon. After 4-5 years I started thinking very seriously about moving back to Europe and quitining my job. I decided to take sabbatical and lived with the guy for 12 weeks. That changed my perspective entirely. He was definitely not a person I wanted to spend the rest of my life with. Selfish, misogynist, self centered. I didn't want to admit my mistake and kept the thing going for another 2-3 years, but at least I gave up the idea of leaving the US. Best decision ever. Now I'm in the best relationship ever, no regrets. Pearls of wisdom: live with somebody for substantial amount of to before you turn your world upside down, you happiness might be around the corner. Good luck!,

Maaga Level 3 Nov 28, 2017

My one LDR was 25 years ago. I had ended a one year relationship with someone who had tried controlling me-met in a 12 step program-and went to a free life style resort in Negril, Jamaica. I met someone my second day there from NJ-I live in NH. We saw each other for two years-me going to NJ for work, visiting best friend from college and he got along well with my friends. However I met someone at home and had a baby at 42. Marriage only lasted 2 years-should I have settled? I believe shit happens. Go with the flow.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:5568
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.