Agnostic.com

3 6

LINK Citing rise of 'Christian nationalism,' Secular Democrats unveil sweeping recommendations for Biden

WASHINGTON (RNS) — A Democratic dedicated to representing secular values unveiled a slate of recommendations for President-elect Joe Biden’s incoming administration on Monday (Nov. 30), outlining a sweeping agenda designed to roll back many of President Trump’s actions involving religion and to “restore a vision of constitutional secularism.”

HippieChick58 9 Nov 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I praise the work of the Secular Democrats.

The extreme right has attempted to appropriate (and claim as solely their own) key words, symbols, and values. And they use those both to incite their members and followers and to falsely stigmatize their opponents. We cannot pull followers away from them by attacking those symbols and values. Instead, we must attach new and more appropriate meanings to those and continually use them to our own advantage In so doing we can make real inroads.

That was a key message in Postman and Weingarten's book, THE SOFT REVOLUTION, written in the early 1970s. It was an insightful and astute book -- still worth reading.

Joe's a devout Catholic so don't look for religious reforms.

Ohferpetessake...name One time he injected his personal beliefs into his politics...I'll wait right here...oh, and you can explain his "pro-choice" stance, too......

@AnneWimsey Well, he won't usher in Theocracy (as 45 has done) but nor do I predict he'll make any great departure from Pope Francis in public policy. For instance, Democratic public policy obeys Catholic Church policy in non-funding for any part of women's health. I would prefer a Democrat who states health policy is inclusive of health without regard to ANY OTHER CONCERN. Joe won't make that kind of policy or even try.

@rainmanjr uuummm, what are you talking about....? Have seen Nothing like that in his entire decades-long career, and neither have you

@AnneWimsey The Hyde Amendment. [cnn.com]

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:557112
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.