Agnostic.com

15 1

Does love exist? (As in, the "romantic" sort)

This past weekend I had a heated but fun debate with a buddy of mine about whether love exists. I argued that it does exist; she argued that it didn't. We were both pretty drunk, so I really can't recall the details, other than that she made a biology-based case and that I lost. Unhelpful preface end. What do you folks think? What is love? Does it exist? I'm referring to the love people have, or supposedly have, in relationships.

ADistantShore 5 Apr 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

‘’Hate to break it to you, but what people call "love" is just a chemical reaction that compels animals to breed. It hits hard Morty then it slowly fades leaving you stranded in a failing marriage. I did it. Your parents are going to do it. Break the cycle Morty, rise above, focus on science.’’

• Rick (Rick and Morty)

Love does indeed exist, and she comes in different colors. We are complex creatures; besides a desire for sexual fufillment, we also desire companionship, intellectual stimulation and the exchange of energy. And some relationships are leavened with more of some of these than others. Our DNA and our minds talk to each other, and the expression to another varies.

Start with the premise that there is no such experience as love and see where that gets you. It is rather like claiming that there are no stars, just collections of Hydrogen gas, compressed into having fusion reactions.

It depends on how you define it. There being no rigid meaning. I would define love as a strong emotional dependency. And that can be romantic or not. Would the permanent absence of someone leave a gaping, inconsolable hole in your life? If so, you love that person. If there's an element of sexual intimacy in that relationship, then it's 'romantic' love.

And yes, that definitely exists.

Of course love is real. I will always love my daughter, no matter what.

And I will always love Dan, my former boyfriend and hiking partner. My feelings for Dan have evolved from romantic love to loving him as a friend. This took a year of self-examination with a counselor.

Loving others without expecting something in return is a sign of maturity.

Love is just a word coined to explain a bond you have with other enterties (friends, family, pets etc etc.)

Yes love exists. Hey, The Darkness believed in it! 🙂

One of the best songs EVER.

Yes indeed it exists, however it may not be good for you!

Thats not Love, thats Lust !

People tend to lust after each other, but when describing it someone else refer to it as love. Also the bond that exists between entities ( family, pets, friends etc etc ) is all lump under the word love. Just makes it easier to describe.

As for being confuse, the word love tends to make you that way.

Lust is a shortened version of " I want sex with you now." Afterwards it turns into some sort of bonding, or not

Reapeat, Love is a substitute word for bonding, lust is a one off kick start to bonding. Two different things.

Making a biology based argument doesn't work though. If that where the case then hate doesn't exist or envy, jealousy etc..,they are all emotional responses. Some people find that love, others never will. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It's just easier to say it doesn't exist if you've never found it.

It's just a man-made word but I think there is a natural attraction and closeness to certain people and some a lot more than others.

Love is caring about someone and we do that in lots of ways..

My stepfather once commented to my mother that , women have sex to get love , and men give love to get sex . I thought that was rather profound .

what a deep question, actually meant to be light. Love is a combination of so many things, and it is different between you and each of the people you love. in a relationship or marriage it is trust and faith, and as time goes by it turns and changes bit by bit. It is very difficult for 2 people to mature and grow at the same pace and in the same direction, as many people just find their priorities change and they may begin to drift or grow apart. I'm 73 and have been married 4 times, the current one has lasted over 38 years, and I don't pretend to know a bit more now than I knew the day before my first wedding !!!

"Sexual attraction" areas of the brain light up when men are shown photos of sexy strangers, "friendship/family" love areas of the brain light up when the same people are shown photos of family and friends, and "romantic love" areas respond to photos of significant others, showing scientists that types of love are distinct.

The sexual love and romantic love are also distinct.

[sitn.hms.harvard.edu]love-actually-science-behind-lust-attraction-companionship/

Love exists. That other languages have different words for different aspects of love is one of the greatest flaws in English. As the relationship between two people matures so do their feelings. We have a nebulous, internal definition of love that is difficult to confirm between people. Mate that to the completely ridiculous notion of "romantic" love which places an external framework on a relationship and applies generic metrics to a situation that is anything but.

Tough argument, since, in our culture, you're both correct.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:55819
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.