Agnostic.com

4 2

Aspire to be a Mensch
According to Leo Rosten, a mensch is "someone to admire and emulate, someone of noble character. The key to being 'a real mensch' is nothing less than character, rectitude, dignity, a sense of what is right, responsible, decorous." The term is used as a high compliment, implying the rarity and value of that individual's qualities.

ADKSparky 8 Dec 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Hmmmm....seems to me that "the sense of what is right" is so culturally based that a mench in one place would be a villain in another.

So no thanks, I'll just strive to be the best me that I can be.

1of5 Level 8 Dec 8, 2020

I have an issue with extolling a Yiddish word. It's a good word, but by being Yiddish, it brings in all the baggage associated with Judaism. Indeed, the baggage completely distracts from the motive for using the word. The word "Bright" suffers from a similar problem being associated with agnostics or atheists and so similarly demonized. Maybe these words will gain currency and lose the associations, if Humanity lives that long...

Don't be a schmuck!

Don’t be a putz

Feh

Don't be a shmendrik

Dude do you know how horrible you sound, by appointing yourself the gatekeeper of how our melting pot language includes new words?

Words only have the meanings and baggage we each assign to them. If you want to include the baggage is up to you but I won't be. If you apply them to my meaning, it's definitely not my fault.

Like most people, I didn't fully appreciate the meaning of ''mensch''...until my husband died. He'd been ill for a long time and I'd never dealt with a death before. My time was spent taking him to medical appointments, etc. Once he died, I looked at everything which needed to be done and didn't know what in HELL I was going to do.

My friend Herb came over, took one look at the gardens, the garage, etc, and said "I'll be back." He returned the next week with TOOLS...I can't tell you how many chores he did for me in the following weeks. I'd make lunch and he'd work...and work...and work. I'll never forget it. Herb Schiff taught me the meaning of the word MENSCH!

It's been used to refer to Biden before by multiple people.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:558993
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.