Agnostic.com

21 4

What personality traits were passed down from your ancestors?

"Her ambivalence is a typically Irish trait," I read in "Cabbages and Bones- An Anthology of Irish American Women's Fiction" today.

This resonated with me. "My middle initial "A" stands for ambivalence," I joked wryly in my 20s. Half Irish, I saw reasons to stay and reasons to leave relationships. To decide I drew a line down the middle of a page, marking the columns "Pro" and "Con." One side inevitably outweighed the other.

From "Achille Ancestors and a Stranger" by Maureen Brady. In Ireland:

"Why did you leave your first love?" he asked. Her heart began to pound. She's always told it in the most obvious way: how her lover cheated on her, and, when she discovered the betrayal, she couldn't bear it. But in this land of many angles, she sees an entirely different sight.

"I was always filled with longing," she says. "Was that your distraction?" he asks.

"No," she answers. "It was not. I was remembering my Irish ancestors. Feeling their hunger and how it must have passed on to me. Maybe that hunger gave me the longing."

A fine sense of irony is another Irish trait. I have always seen absurdity and humor in life.

What personality traits were passed down by your ancestors?

LiterateHiker 9 Dec 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

21 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Persistence, independence and toughness. Here's a pic that I took today of the person who gave them to me. She's 94.

Stubbornness from the Brits, tenacity from the Dutch.

A dry, mischievous sense of humor which I’m told my Native ancestors also possessed.

I have always said that because I'm part Irish, Cajun and German I have an extremely short toleration for bullshit. Not sure if that's attributed correctly, but no one has ever contradicted me.

The capacity to drink whiskey and Guinness comes from my Irish side

Alcoholism and shooting style. That's it. And yes alcoholism is hereditary. I haven't drank in 9 months (quit Mar 9) and will be one till the day I die. That urge will always be there. It's been so long that I don't even think of it as being fun. More of a headache. If it wasn't for chronic insomnia, I'd never feel like I want to get some. Trust me. You're up for several days, you are very damn desperate. And I abstain from caffiene, sugar, energy drinks, and do no illegal drugs. Unless you count pot, but I had two PA's tell me to. So there.

Yes it is, 4/16/2011 I stopped. Believe in you you can do it.

@oldFloyd I was so tempted to drink earlier. I do have some everclear (I use that to make Green Dragon - I only consume 1-2ML because you need the alcohol to get the THC - there are other ways, but for the price of this shit...). Oddly enough, I sometimes have dreams I relapsed and I think it happened the next morn. I'm like WTF did I do? Then I realize it was just a dream. I don't want to get stuck in that rut again.

@TheGreatShadow stay with it you won't be sorry.

The pedantry to stick to my self set standards, however pointless and annoying to me and others, no mater what. From my paternal grandmother. If the house was on fire, and sure to burn down. She would still make the bed before she left. "Because you can't leave a bed unmade."

Procrastination. I used to be undecided now I'm not so sure.
My favourite quotation from Dickens-- " procrastination is the thief of time, nab him "

Learning! A great uncle of mine became a medical doctor in the capital city of Utah. I still see talking with him one of the times he came back to Nebraska for a conference and I also let him know of my like/love of learning at that time. My college learning also added laughing and exploring to that wordage.

I’m not aware of any right offhand

I really don't believe in any of that stuff.

Neither did your great grandma

That would be difficult to ascertain. Personality characteristics are at least as much due to upbringing and to social and physical conditions during development as they are to heredity.

Scottish spine and sarcasm. It's no wonder my friend list saves paper...

Being an outspoken asshole. I come from a loooong line of them on both sides of my family.

And evidently my sense of humor is excactly like my grandpa's was, who died before I was born.

1of5 Level 8 Dec 8, 2020

a bucking of authority...It runs in the Irish side of my family very strongly. My great grandfather got divorced and pushed out of the catholic church as a result, then lost quite a bit of his sign on bonus from the Union Army by bucking that authority too. Many stories on this similarity. 😀

I also have been a person who bucks what I consider to be unjust or unwise authority. But, neither of my parents showed such trends in behavior.

@wordywalt My dad was worse than I am!

I believe Sylvester the cat explained it as sticktuitiveness. 🤔 And yeah alcoholism. 🤮

Traits passed down. . . I would say via a combination of nature and nurture. - - the desire to act as the rational moderator/problem solver. Trying to fix things. (people). My great great past has a few religious nut-jobs. I did not adopt any religious traits.

I don't have the slightest idea.

Make a decision and go with it. Sometimes listening to others' advice, sometimes not. On a good day, that might be called leadership. But not always.

I couldn't find any good numbers on the total number of Irish people who immigrated to the US, but according to ancestry dot com genetics, about 2/3 of Americans are at least 5% Irish (over 200 million) so it sounds like the Irish were pretty um, non judgemental about their sex partners. [irishcentral.com]

A love of family

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:559235
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.