Agnostic.com

33 3

Cartoons!!!

Ok so im only slightly old school. I like a lot of cartoons either from now, or still around now, but I love some older stuff as well. I know im not quite as wisened as some of you, lol, but I do remember thunder cats, captian planet, old school looney toons, transformers, and a bit later, some stuff like beast wars. anyone else have an older or obscure cartoon that takes them back to another time?

Byrd 7 Apr 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

33 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Let’s see...
Speed Racer
Spider-Man
Hong Kong Phooey
The Funky Phantom
Magilla Gorilla
Grape Ape
Planet of the Apes

I loved live action. Total 70’s kid!
The Bugaloos
HR Puff N’ Stuff
Lidsville
Sigmund & The Seamonster
Electra Woman & Dyna Girl
Dr. Shrinker
Shazam

So many more!

Hmm.....

Anyone else remember the short lived Catoon series Motor Mouse and Auto Cat? Basically it was Tom and Jerry using cars and motorcycles.

There was the clasic road runner of course but does anyone remember " wait till your father comes home? " It was the last (I think) from Hanna Barberra and had this guy next door who looked like Nixon.

Wait till your father gets home was ripped of Mercilessly by both the Simpsons and Family Guy.
From the dad looking like Homer, the Mother sounding like Lois, the Daughter Peg being cloned for Meg, the dopey hippy son and the brainy toddler, even the dog looked like Santa's little helper.
The passing out money joke in the opening was stolen by Married with children.

The next door neighbor was a paramilitary survivalist loonatic called Ralph, whose mad granny (known only as the Sarge) was the best character in the show.
Ralph turned up later as Burt Gummer in the Tremors movies.

Felix the Cat..

One of my favorites was "Pinky and the Brain" which only came out after I was alredy an adult.

I also was surprised when flipping channels in the early 2000's when I watched "Batman" at how mucyh improved the animation was, bu5t was reallyimpressed with how much th eproduction values over all increased with good plots an ccharacter development. It was great writign for a cartoon.

Looking back on the crtoons i watched as a kid, they were entertaiing for their time, but just don't seem to hold up so well, as todays cartoons are far more sophisticated and have much higher production values and much better writing.

Rocky and Bullwinkle, right up there with Simpson's and the Family Guy for me.

Quick Draw McGraw
Huckleberry Hound
The Ant and the AArdvark
Pixie and Dixie
Jinks the Cat

Rood Runner. The end.

Underdog
Space Ghost
Johnny Quest
Wacky Racers

Adult Swim has a great treasure trove of recent cartoons which will be come obscure classics down the road. Squidbillies, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, are some of the best to me.

Johnny Quest for sure. Rocky and Bullwinkle and now Rick and Morty

As I have mentioned many times, I grew up without television, in the 17th Centtury. So my cartoons come from books. Calvin and Hobbs are my famorite:

i didnt have a tv till i was 8 but even then, it was mostly for the grownups. we got one hour a day between the 3 of us. it was cool tho, kids now should maybe learn a bit about the outside world...its not so bad

Anyone remember Will o' the Wisp?? with The Moog? (Not the Moog synthesizer)
It was a BBC cartoon. They had a lot of stuff that we got to watch here (Canada).
Good times...

Yes the show featured Kenneth Williams doing most of the voice over work.

G-Force: Guardians of Space!

The original series from which Battle of the planets and G force was edited was Gatchaman (science Ninja's), a Japanese science fiction series, it is available online. Make sure you get the original series though, most of the later remakes are pretty dire

Hong Kong Phooey

I loved Hong Kong Phooey, it was a surprise to me in later years to discover there were only twelve episodes ever made.

@LenHazell53 I didn't know that! When I heard "old cartoons," somehow the name Hong Kong Phooey came to mind. I had to Google to remember what he looked like! I couldn't remember what kind of creature he was. I also vaguely remember Captain Caveman...

@carlyhorton

@LenHazell53 Ah yes! I don't remember the teen angels, though...

@carlyhorton they were the gang who found him and thawed him out of the iceberg, they were sort of an all girl mystery incorporated and the cap was their scooby doo, he lived in a cave on top of their van.

Most of these cartoons can be found on YouTube, y'all.

I always endorse Scooby Doo.

JimG Level 8 Apr 12, 2018

YES!!

I remember going to my grandmother's house, and she'd turn on the Disney Channel for us. All the old cartoons we're playing back then. Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, etc, but I love Warner Bros. Looney Toons was the shit. There were a few other ones, like Hanna-Barbera I loved. Flintstone's, Scooby Doo (though I'm not sure if that was HB...). Now I watch Family Guy, American Dad!, and any other shows Seth MacFarlane is associated with. He's my favorite. Lol

not a cartoon but i love that newish show seth has i can't remember what its called but its like star trek but funny as all get up

@Byrd The Orville

@LenHazell53 I'm re-watching The Orville as I type this!

The Orville! Love it!

Felix the cat and his magic bag of tricks. Wally Walrus. Tennessee Tuxedo and His Tales

I was into Hanna Barbera as a kid-they had cereals back then with some of the characters.

Quick Draw McGraw and his sidekick Babalouie
Limpy the Lion and Hardee Haha
Magilla Gorilla
Yogi the Bear and Boo boo

i loved the yogi cartoons but i wasnt a big fan of the live action/cgi movie they made later

Did you ever watch Yogi's Ark?
First time I ever recall a programme straightforwardly preaching ecology to kids.

The Magpies, Heckle & Jeckle
Crusader Rabbit and Rags the Tiger
Tom Terrific
Joe Jitsu
Clutch Cargo, Spinner and Paddlefoot

Rocky the flying squirrel & ilk ie Fractured Fairy Tales etc.
Subtle political bent.
I hated the bouncing ball with those 1940 songs. Yuk.
Give me the edge.

I wrote several essays on animation and the evolution of cartoons at university, especially the brothers Max Fleischer and Dave Fleischer and Ralph Bakshi.
My first introduction to alternate animation as a child was the early anime series "Marine Boy" though I did not recognise it as such. I returned to Anime in the last few years with the advent of influential science fiction such as Akira.
Fortunately the popularity of Anime has opened up the field in the west to more adult themes and resulted in such truly remarkable animation from Warner Bros and Lionsgate.
I will admit to being a great fan of almost every itteration of Scooby Doo and mourn the passing of "Scooby Doo: Mystery Incorporated" the best version since the original Scooby Doo where are you.

YES!!

At 71 I still like all of the old classic cartoons and a few of the modern ones. Why would I stop laughing or smiling just because I got older?

I also still like the Three Stooges. Kids today don't get it. They don't even think they are funny. I think they are idiots and hilarious. You hear parents claim the Stooges are not for children. I agree. They never were for children in the first place. They were invented to give you something to watch at the double feature movie while the first reel wasa re-wound.

How abot Roger Ramjet, or am I alone on that one?

No, I remember that. Voiced by Gary Owens.

All I remember about him was my mother tutting disgusted at it and then and turning off the TV.
To be honest I do wonder how they got away with the name even now, but then again Captain Pugwash had characters called Seaman Staines, Master Bates and Tom/Roger the Cabin Boy, so I suppose nothing should come as a surprise.

Just clarify John Ryan the author of the original Pugwash books did sue in 1991 over this and won, but it was later revealed that his books did have characters called Master Mate, Tom the Cabin boy (which was for a time changed in the TV show to Roger, thinking that was LESS suggestive) and Seaman Willy, these had all at one time or another been changed by voice over artists because they were considered rude (one of the voice over artists came from Staines and thought the town name could not be misinterpreted unlike Willy).

@StarvinMarvin For his adventures just be sure to stay tuned to this station.

@LenHazell53 Any good cartoon has levels of humour that appeal to different age levels Canadian censers where never that prudish about language they were more concerned about over all content.

Rollie pollie ollie

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:55943
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.