Agnostic.com

79 4

Famous person?

Who is the most famous person you've ever met face to face? Ive been to MANY sci_fi, comic, and fantasy cons and met tons of famous people. Who's your big meet?

jamessmithwick 6 Apr 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

79 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Most famous = I once found myself wandering around an art gallery next to Paul McCartney

Most bragged about = Tom Rowlands from The Chemical Brothers used to be a drinking buddy down my local pub

Most 'wow' moment = getting to shake the hand of my guitar hero, Ian McNabb

Most famous actual friend = the drummer from Toploader ("who?" ?)

Having spent most of my life working in motion pictures and music businesses actors and musicians are just workers like the rest of us. More significant is my encounter with HM Queen Elizabeth II not long after her Coronation in 1953. Our infant school lined us kids up outside the school and gave us a flag to wave as her Majesty passed by on a tour of South London. Being a bolshie little chap I thew my flag at her in disgust.

I had dinner at a table next to Laura Dern in Jiko at the Animal Kingdom lodge at Disney World. Our kids played and we chatted. I never let on that I knew who she was. We were just a pair of moms.

Alice Cooper, and Billy Gibbons.....

Toss-up? President Gerald Ford or Bob Hope - both a number of times.

How do I choose? The perfection of a sunny day when I met Barack O'bama? When my hat blew off and he chased it and brought it back to me, set it on my head and smiled, "Here's your hat back." Or the goulish day I had cocktails with Suze Randall and Larry Flynt at the Beverly Hills Hotel? Oh yes, and the night Suze invited me to the Playboy Mansion...and you guessed it! All right, there's more...! I worked with Michelle Richard the famous French Chef in Beverly Hills, and I danced with a General after a Military parade.(cannot reveal his name)...One of my most thrilling was bumping into Joel Grey walking into Warner Brothers film lot. He actually stopped and we had a conversation without me once bringing up Caberet! Just recalled I met Bill Clinton and Hillary in Arkansas where I was campaigning. And I almost cried when I met Joshua Redman at the Daisy in Memphis!

David Copperfield, Stephen King, John Candy. Three of the top of my head.

Stephen King was the keynote speaker at my college commencement ceremony.

@cvccosplay That is pretty awesome. I was at a signing/Q&A and had him sign the book I was reading at the time. "Pet Sematary"

Had an interesting chat with Jimmy Page in New Orleans in 1985. He was at the Olde Absinthe House after a Firm concert. He declined my offer to buy him a drink but he did give me an autograph. Thinking we might be pestering him, my friends and I went outside and Jimmy followed us out and chatted with us on the sidewalk for 10-15 minutes before weaving his way towards the Royal Orleans.

John Doe, from "X", Dave Alvin from the Blasters, Screaming Jay Hawkins, quite a few musicians. I used to be a prop builder, I never saw one celebrity on the lot. My ex wife is a costumer, and she invited me to lunch, I believe it was on the Sony lot. We were standing in line and she nudges me and rolls her eyes to the left. I just shrugged my shoulders, we get to our table and she ask me if I know who that was...Me, no idea...Her, Brook Shields...Me, are you sure? Her, of course I'm sure, I dress her 5 days a week.

I've met quite a few people. The two most memorable before they passed away were Jackie Gleason and Danny Thomas. Gleason was an interview when I was interning in news, and Thomas was at a bank in Hollywood. I was just standing in line and someone had a baby in line and I heard him talking to the baby and said to myself, that voice sounds awfully familiar. I turned around and he was playing with this mother's baby. He really was the nicest sincerest person you could ever meet.

Lionel Messi

Back in 2005 I was doing security in new brunswick new jersey for the state theather and I met glen cambell

Formerly a newspaper reporter and I've met a bunch of celebrities (Marlo Thomas, Arnold, The Guess Who, Jimmy Buffett, a few senator and congressmen). I met Carroll O'Connor in a convenience store. He was buying film for his camera. He was very polite and gracious to everyone there.

Once a friend of mine visited me. When I came back form work he told me he'd gone to the state capitol and met the governor. I told him I've met the governor a few times. I ran into him periodically at the pet store.

I forgot to say that I've met Betty White so many times I can't count them. She's an enormous resource/fan of the zoo where I volunteer and SHE IS EXACTLY WHO YOU THINK SHE IS! Funny, naughty, quick and clever.

Hopalong Cassidy in 1950, when I was four, at a Fiesta event in San Antonio. My photo was taken on his knee. Meeting Hoppy was a big deal and although I had been on horses before, he put me on Topper for a few moments which made it especially memorable. I was only an Honorable Mention in the contest but still I was awarded a pair of roller skates that had spurs.

To me, Wendell Berry is the most famous person I've met, but lots of people probably don't know who he is! Ha!

Most objectively famous would be Ben Stiller, followed by Keenan Thompson of SNL. Both on a movie set I was an extra in. Any guesses which movie??

Mohammed Ali. I've had the very good fortune to play behind Wllie, Reba, Johnny Gimble, and Leon Russell, and have met and done shows with others. I feel very fortunate for the life l have led.

I used to work as an "Extra" on films TV shows and in commercials, and I have met a lto fo famous persons, but as I have never really admired fame, I dot' really remember all of them.

Just a few who come immediately to mind,
Rob Lowe
Matrin Sheen
Andy Dick
Dick Van Dyke
Craig T. Nelsom
John Cleese
Liam Nissen

The general rule when you work as an extra is you are nto allowed to start a conversation with a "star" unless they talk to you first. Break that rule and you will not only get fired immediately , but you will be black listed by the castign comapny and won't be able to work again. So, th eabov elist are just some of the few who were nice enough to talk to us lowly Extras. Those who didnt' talk to us were not necessarily stuck up so much as most of htem were focused on their work. Actign can take a lto of concentration and breaking that woudl impact their performace. Thus the no talking to th estars rules.

Once upon a time, I was a yacht chef....so, met/fed a lot of famous and/or important people....from Mel Gibson to Rosie O'Donnell to a couple of Russian billionaires...lots of entertainment execs... worked for Tobey McGuire for about 2 months while he was doing a movie -- he was just vegetarian then but has since gone vegan. It was a good gig. I've met a bunch of the vegan celebs at various food festivals -- i.e. Joaquin Phoenix and Alicia Silverstone.

I work and write for the technology industry. so name them. Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, etc.

in film/tv, the entire cast of Star Trek TOS and TNG. used to work hospitality at conventions. lots of others.

Lol. Billy Bob Thornton was doing sn indie movie in my town. My husband was the local liaison for props procurement. My youngest was 2 years old. We were on-set, and between takes, he walks over and introduces himself. I shook his hand, introduced myself (it was in Arkansas, so I had to give pedigree as well, since he is Arkansan and expected it, saying my husband is so-and-so, etc). Our daughter marched right up to him, stuck out her hand, and said, "Hi. I Juwie. I two." The whole crew busted up laughing.

As many have, I have had numerous celebrity sightings. Back in their heyday, I used to see SF 49ers all over Redwood City, CA (where I lived). I saw Joe Montana at a local deli/grocer, Bubba Paris, Ronnie Lott. Also saw Jerry Rice at a local mall. So cool! I saw Elke Sommer on a dock at Zephyr Cove, CA (Lake Tahoe). At a trade show in Las Vegas, I saw Corbin Bernsen sitting in a lounge at Mandalay Bay Resort. Saw Dennis Rodman who was a celebrity model in a watch vendor's exhibit at the tradeshow itself (jewelry and watches). Saw Kobe Bryant at Disneyland.

Most notably, my family had an encounter with Robert Carlyle (Rumpelstiltskin on Once Upon A Time). We were at Downtown Disney in Anaheim after spending a day in the parks, having dinner at an Italian restaurant called Naples. He was sitting in the booth next to us, just having dinner with his family. He had been made by other restaurant guests who restrained themselves for quite a while before they finally started pestering him for autographs. We waited until we were ready to go before my ex approached him. He was very gracious and nice and posed for pics with my ex and my daughter.

I work in the film Industry, so maybe Dwayne The Rock Johnson. He introduced himself to me at a wrap party for The Rundown.

I met John Sanford, aka Redd Foxx in front of the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, we spoke for about 5 minutes - nice guy

gater Level 7 Apr 12, 2018

While driving through a hotel parking lot, one day, I saw Maya Angelou walking. She turned around and we made eye contact for a few seconds.
Also, I literally ran right into Bonnie Raitt one day, while delivering a pizza to the Civic Center. She was playing that night, and had just finished her set.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:55946
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.