Agnostic.com

9 1

When you post....

I logged on tonight and saw pretty much the identical question one right after the other.

I know this happens when there is breaking news, but my question is; how often do you look at previous posts in order not to duplicate?

As I have been on this site for a while, I see many of the same subjects being posted over and over again and am curious if anyone thinks that they are the first to think of putting it here.

• 4 votes
  • 7 votes
  • 4 votes
  • 3 votes
  • 4 votes
Akfishlady 8 Apr 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Seem to me that most just want to interact. I do not think it us a plagiarism issue. They are looking for different takes. The other thing new members are just looking for commonality.

@Akfishlady Not everyone thinks with logic most let their emotions guide them. That being said the answer is not always clear to everyone. Even the dumbest question needs to be answered because not everyone takes the information the same way.

I wasn't aware of the "spyglass" feature - does it only appear when viewing the site via the app (which I don't use)? If so, that could be part of the reason we get so many near-duplicate posts - people logging in from computers and new users using phones who haven't yet found and downloaded the app wouldn't know it was there, whereas if they can see it they're more likely to be inclined to search before posting.

Jnei Level 8 Apr 12, 2018

@Akfishlady Gosh - so it is! Never noticed it before!

It's a byproduct of the spam-posts-for-points nature of this site and its ranking system.

The more you do it, the more you're rewarded, so there's not much incentive not to duplicate hot topics to get points.

@Akfishlady probably tried to rank up then got tired of it and bailed.

To be honest, I'm not super keen on the system and debate leaving as well--it just feels spammy and overall not the greatest way to meet someone.

I usually don't look before I post. I'm posting an article or observation to share my views and or see what others think. I'm not looking for points, pals or commendations. If there is going to be rules, regulations, policies other than simple good manners than count me out. I often sometimes to my detriment, don't even check to see if there are other comments before commenting myself. I read many, many different newspapers, articles, listen to Ted talks, podcasts and watch Youtube videos. I come here for the conversations, views and others' offerings I may not have heard or seen before.

Do you really need to regulate what's on tap?

@Akfishlady perhaps and if I upset you, maybe we both need to take a second look. Sometimes when a person is used to holding back, it is a relief to find such a site. Even if the first post out of the gate is hackneyed, most will quickly catch on. I've only been here a few days and am rapidly learning.

I don't place as many new posts as I once did. I mostly reply to existing ones. I rely on my head to remember if something has been posted since I joined, before I post. I have only had very limited success using the search.

You can lead a horse to a tutorial, but you can't make him read it. Welcome to internet: the world's finest showcase of human idiosyncrasies.

If I ever make another post, I will do a copious amounts of searching before i do so.

im still trying to get used to everything, but i do try to at least see if something similar has recently been posted. it doesnt really bother me tho, if i see something multiple times i just keep scrolling

Byrd Level 7 Apr 12, 2018

I'm not certain, but think my few posts haven't been very .... 'Current newsy' so I've not searched, yea, there's a pinch of 'lazy' involved.
If, however, I were so moved as to create a post involving current news, I'd likely scan for similar items.
I so dislike being a copycat...

I also have seen the same stuff I've posted that was posted by others. It is ineveitable to some extent.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:55953
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.