Agnostic.com

37 6

What are your thoughts on Faith?

One of my biggest issues with religion is the whole concept of Faith, or in the religious sense, Blind Faith.

Arguments ALWAY loop back to "I just have Faith." I won't even continue arguing the topic because I know at that point that person has abandoned all logic and reason. It's an adult version of putting your fingers in your ears and yelling "La-La-La-La I can't hear you!!"

To believe in something solely for the sake of believing seems insane to me. Especially when their source is ONE BOOK! The insert religious texts here is not proof! Also, Christian Science is an oxymoron, and creationism is just bad science.

What are your thoughts on Faith? How can/do you rationalise it?

KDzo 4 Apr 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

37 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Faith in the theological sense is an anti-intellectual evil, the veneration of fantasy over fact, the glorification of ignorance and an insult to human progress.
Faith say truth is a lie, reality is deception and thinking is a sin, faith is double think.
I loathe it.

I think faith (aka hope or wishful thinking) is fien in the absence of facts.

However, when a person believes in spite fo the avaialbe facts taht crosses the line out of the rhelms of faith and into the rhelms of willful ignorance. This is the route mos treligions have taken, as facts disprove various parts of what they believe... they stil choose to believe in them despite evidence to the contrary.

I have always asserted the religious faith is a mental illness.
It is based on delusion. Delusion is a symptom of mental illness.

There is no rationalizing faith, it is toxic garbage.

When I get the "faith" argument, I ask the person to please name any other aspect of their lives in which they operate on only faith. When they give me the standard answers, I go into detail explaining why their reasons are not actually faith.

Deb57 Level 8 Apr 15, 2018

Good George Michael song. Blind Faith had a pretty good album. Other than that ... I have faith in the inherent goodness of man. Yes, I'm disappointed daily, but still i remain optimistic.

There is a very fine line between faith and delusion...

So fine I can't see it.

I think that , like many things, it comes from fear. Fear that this life is all we have. Fear that the universe doesn't care about us. Fear of death. Fear makes you do(and believe) stupid things.

As near as I can tell, I was born without a shread of faith. Is the sun coming up tomorrow? We shall see. I've always been puzzled by other people's faith. I once friended a woman that believed in fiber & juicing. Angels, aliens. Krishna, Jesus, Buddah, vitaman C and collidal silver solution. I did figure out pretty quick that she was nuts, but she was more fun than an entire bushel basket of Baptists. I'm not here for a long time, but I am here for a good time.

And I hope we meet 'the next time'.

Faith is what people say when they know their belief system doesn’t pass a rational thinking system. I went to a Lutheran grade school and a day never went by when I didn’t hear that word a dozen times. It’s anti intellectual gibberish and a big reason I became an Atheist. I’m wired to discussions based on reason and facts.

Its a way of kind of believing without actually saying so.

You left out Intelligent Design.

JimG Level 8 Apr 12, 2018

So did God ? lol

@KDzo 😀

I do not. I permit others to have faith and see no value in challenging it.

I sometimes say “I have faith in one‘s ability to do X” when I really mean I have confidence. but in my case “faith” has an extra element of humor in it when I use it because it implies there is a supernatural element in my confidence. im a technologist, I work with highly complex over engineered systems that I am frequently surprised work at all, so I think it‘s funny.

I always think of this quote:

Faith and belief are certainly the most dangerous cognitive traps . There is nothing more dangerous than a man or women of Faith.
It’s an antisocial mental illness that refuses evidence based thinking in favor of prejudice and dogma.
Doubt ! Doubt everything and demand evidence , and even when the evidence is useful continue to question.
Right?
That’s us at our best!
That’s what drives our creative and inventive capacity .

It's a matter of defining our words, isn't it? We make a distinction between religious faith, which means believing things for which there is no evidence, or the evidence is contrary, and the faith we use in normal life, which is the equivalent of having confidence in something or someone, because we have good reasons for it.

Depends on where the needle vsits on my gas gauge and if I know where I'm at. Faith needs hope, hope doesn't need faith.

I have faith in my driving ability, my electrical repairs but not my plumbing skills, mostly in the airliners I ride in and in my kids. Some Sky fairy? Nawwww...

I say the exact same thing

Same as yours.

I have no faith in religious faith but I have faith in myself, in my family, in my doctor, in the man who services my car and in the many friends I am lucky enough to have.

Athos Level 5 Apr 27, 2018

Faith, she's a nice girl but I haven't seen her recently.

Athos Level 5 Apr 27, 2018

Well I guess it would be nice...If I could touch your body, I know not everybody, has got a body like You o oooooo...Baaaby

I don't - usually have the word faith in my personal vocabulary and can't remember a time when i actually used it at all except when I had a friend who was saddled with all the names

'Faith Hope Charity Wise.'

But what use is Faith ? If you have faith that a chair will bear your weight and then it doesn't and you hurt yourself its the same end result as you not bothering with faith.

Faith is Belief without Credible Evidence. I'm not a fan.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:56027
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.