Agnostic.com

5 8

A local description of a huntsman 🙂

Cyklone 7 Dec 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I had a medium garden spider in my back yard this summer and was thrilled! As long as I don't wake up to any kind of spider crawling on my face at three in the morning, or dropping from the ceiling directly into my adult beverage, they do so much good. Except the stick figure spiders. They could have a whole civilization of webs (with colonies) chilling out on your ceiling with no evidence of carnivorous activity. If they are sneaking into the cheese, then it's all out war!

Beautiful spiders, I still remember seeing my first one and my Uncle educating me about them 🙂

I don't know what kind you have over there, and I am not a spideroptogyst, but I love the tiny ones with huge forelegs that could get stuck in your teeth. They look innocent enough. When you approach them, they go Scottish.

@Holysocks in Australia they call those daddy long legs. (In the UK they have insects with similar bodies that fly called that 🙂).
They have the flossy ones in the UK too, it’s always difficult to clean around them so I generally pick them up and take them out, not too ticklish, like the heavier ones are.

He'd be welcome in my home.

Spiders are our natural allies. They kill the bugs that actually cause us problems.

Occasionally, there are misunderstandings, like a couple of months ago when I walked through a web in the woods and the spider bit me, how can I blame her, I just destroyed her home and scared the shit out of her, and usually that's no big deal, just a glorified mosquito bite, but unfortunately, I was allergic to that particular spider and my lips swelled like crazy and my hands burned and a few days later I was covered in hives. Other than that, Spiders are awesome.

They are pretty creepy, but not if you don't look at them.

Fuck all that, they say the same about about house centipedes, and those motherfuckers are so gross they need to die immediately if I see them.

I've felt that way about some of the people I have met in the past 2 years...

Yeah, we have the Iowa House Centipede, they are scary looking for sure. Rarely see em though, and they are even scarier looking to the pests they eat, so I don't mind.

I read somewhere once if spiders all vanished tomorrow, humanity would soon follow. They are an incredibly beneficial arthropod like bees, but with bad PR. 🙂

I guess I wouldn't wish all spiders to disappear of I had the power, but mosquitos, that's another story. I heard it probably wouldn't be a big deal, but I'd still risk it even if there was a chance it would end all life in Earth.

@JeffMurray When I lioved in New Mexico next to a lake the mosquitoes were terrible. I found that spiders had put webs on most of our windows. At the time I did not like spiders, I thought they were always dangerous. But seeing them go after the mosquitoes I changed my mind and did not disturb the webs.

@dalefvictor Mosquitos are the worst. They have the technology to eradicate them, but they're apparently not using it.

Hmm, efforts at eradicating the worst species of mosquitos are getting off the ground. Only about 25 species of the over 1000 mosquito species feast on humans, so hopefully they can go without causing too much ecological problems: [bbc.com]

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:561293
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.