Agnostic.com

53 4

Should all drugs be legalized?

Should all drugs including marijuana, hashish, cocaine, and heroin be legalized?

SamL 7 Apr 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

53 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

those that abuse drugs or alcohol tend to have mental health issues that need to be addressed. Ridiculous sending them to jail. Even cigarette addiction is more likely in those with mental health problems.

No. And not the way dope is being legalized still creating black markets due to high prices and taxes....people should be free to grow their own BUT NEVER SELL DOPE that may be unsafe to the buyer

Decriminalize is more like it.

I have no idea what your concept of "legalized" means. Free unregulated use by the general public? Hell no! Regulated and licensed use and manufacture of all drugs under medical supervision and consumer protections, with personal and public safety in mind? Sure.

I don't want abusers to be licensed, this includes alcohol. I don't want people driving or at a party under the influence. I want proper use research and protocols. A licensed person will need to be monitored and periodically evaluated, with a complete history of use. There should be medically supported services for drug use, which you can explore with an expert, and subscribe to a drug plan and use whatever you want, elective or medical neccescity. If you want to do LSD, fine. It should be offered as a medically supervised service.

I will never support 'legal free to use or abuse under self supervision'. There is a cost to society and public that needs to be addressed.

Absulutely!

zesty Level 7 May 12, 2019

Yes. Because all you really need when you are sick, is a copy of the Physicians' Pharmacopia, like doctors use. You could then look up the medicines you need to take, and go down to the drug store and buy them. No "prescription" (or physician) needed!

Portugal legalized tears ago. Tax dollars spent on incarceration, trials, cops, judges, etc... was rerouted to treatment, housing, employment. Attitudes changed from judgment to compassion. Hopelessness was replaced with hope. New HIV caseloads fell more than 50%; Broken ppl need room to heal with loving supportive ppl around them.

Yes. I don't think drug use will increase as result either. They're will be less people imprisoned for drug crimes. I also think the drugs would be cleaner if distributed legally, thus resulting in fewer deaths. Just like with the repeal of prohibition crime revolving around drugs would dissipate...

considering the primary drawbacks to drug use are all in fact caused by them being criminal, I would think the answer obvious. What a willing adult chooses to do, that does not directly harm another is entirely their private business.

I think psychedelics and marijuana should be legalized, or at least decriminalized. I think cocaine and heroin should be decriminalized, and treated from harm reduction and public health perspectives. Portugal has done this, as I believe has Switzerland.

Orbit Level 7 Dec 17, 2018

Marijuana should be legal but the rest should not unless you are terminally ill.

Use the word decriminalize

No.Most of them should be strictly controlled... Inc. Alcohol.

Decriminalized for users at a minimum Lots of education not propaganda,
and Weed should be legal for adults.

​yes

What keeps me up at night is thinking what do I need/have to do to make sure my kids won't get caught up in that loop. Every parent environment is different therefore requires different measures. However the ultimate goal is all the same. Keep them away from using drugs.

hahahaha good luck with that. All four of my sons have tried a variety of drugs though they aren't addicts and rarely indulge. I have the occasional cone and think I should be able to grow it in my back yard.

Along with those calling for its legalization and/or decriminalization, and treat is as a health issue I would like to add a measure proven to be very effective - educated the people, the major factor in the decline of tobacco consumption. No more public advertising, health warnings, hight taxation, higher insurence premium, limited accessibility, etc. All those little nudges that over the years have make people walk away from it

legna Level 4 June 8, 2018

But look at the demographic who still smoke. It is the poor, the mentally ill. Life is such a struggle they cannot get over the addiction. The middle class, can get their patches, get a trainer and go on a fitness fad.

They are already legalized, our opioid pandemic is totally legal, all you need is a trade license from a medical school and belong to any of the pharmaceutical drug cartels. They have the politicians on their pockets, which will ensure you that all competition is outlawed.

legna Level 4 June 8, 2018

Well......maybe. I do not see any value of being a crack or heroin addict.......so maybe not these drugs. However, hallucinogenics (including MJ and Ecstasy), nitrous oxide, and relatively mild prescription pills like Valium and Adderal should be legalized. Plus, with legalization, we might be able to find some drugs that mimic the effects o crack and heroin that are not so addictive.

Yes. Legalize them all. Treat the physically harmful ones like the heath issue they are, and shove your moral judgements.

Absolutely not. Do you really want your kids bus driver to whip out a crack pipe on the job?

I feel your pain and understand your fear but I think the scenario you present is unlikely.

That's going to be illegal regardless. Alcohol is legal, but drinking while driving isn't. Sheez.

@MollyBell Drinking and driving is also illegal, but booze is legal and stupid people do it.

@ArthurPhillips So how many ppl do you think are driving around off their face?

I think they should be, but if so, then they need to be highly regulated and heavily taxed (primarily to pay for rehab of addicts). Also, keep th legal age of use for mind altering substances to 21.

Yes. And we need free addiction programs. But I'm all about Darwinism sorting stuff out

Darwin was wrong about the survival of the fittest. You survive if you either are in power or protected by it due to your servitude and the homage you pay to it, which is directly proportional to your ignorance. Bottom line, ignorance is the blessed way to survival.

Joke aside, at his time they did not have the means to prove his theory, but it became popular because of its social implications, it gave a scientific (and moral) support to colonialism. In an era of humanitarian views a scientific prove that other races and people were inferior, because of their technologically less advanced social development was a pretty handy tool to have.

Today, we have the technology to experimentally prove him right, so it has become highly unpopular because of its social implications.

But you are right about them being naturally eliminated by the harmful effects of their addiction.

Marijuana for sure. It is safer than alcohol and has health benefits. Legalize, tax, and regulate it. Furthermore, release all that are currently incarcerated for non- violent drug related offences.

Decriminalized, at least. Not sure about legalizing fentanyl and some drugs known to be pretty much deadly. Then again, the way it is now sure isn't working. Treatment should be the option, not locking up people who are addicted.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:56308
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.