Agnostic.com

10 2

Electric cars. Supposedly prices are coming down. You can get a basic model for 40k now. Do you think prices will be down in the 20k range in the next few years,? Do u think there will be enough charging stations to take a trip across country with no worries?

UrsiMajor 8 Dec 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No, I don't think there will be enough charging stations

Just heard about how Toyota are working on a 'solid state' battery. It's supposed to last longer, run longer and needs a much shorter recharge time. [electrek.co]

Wonderful news. I am a true Honda Civic fan. Maybe Honda will develop one in the next five years too.

@UrsiMajor Me too (past tense). My first new car was a Civic Hatchback and I went on to own 2 more Honda's. But when it came to getting a hybrid I compared the Insight to the PriusC. The C offered a superior system (to me), better mileage, ride, quietness and, the selling point was because of it's size we got a better rate on the ferry.
In Seattle we hosted Japanese students and one had a brother who worked for Nissan. She said in Japan Nissan was #2 and Honda #3. Toyota is #1. This doesn't really impress me as I don't relate size with superiority but in the case of the small hybrid, it was (the C was actually smaller than the Insight).

I see charging stations going up everywhere, particularly chain restaurants.

Yes...I do believe Electric cars are the future for us all, and in future years the technology will allow them to recharge as we travel. At present the distance has already been extended considerably from how far prototype electric models could travel between charges...from 100 miles then, to between 250 & 350 miles now. Here in the U.K. we are planning to ban all sales of new fossil fuel driven cars by 2030 and are currently installing many more charging points across the country. Norway has already stopped the installation of new Petrol/Diesel stations in favour of electric charging stations and intends to be the first country to have only electric vehicles on their roads, by 2025. The price will inevitably come down, as it always does when the technology is no longer elitist but becomes the norm.

Maybe now with administraton change

bobwjr Level 10 Dec 26, 2020

My ex girlfriend has a Mitsubishi electric car she got used a few years old for about 10k. It has a short range, around 100 miles, good for around town driving. Battery technology is improving, greater range for less money is the trend. The car produces zero emissions, but most power generators do not. To really make a difference this has to be coupled with alternative energy production.

Yep gonna happen. There are already trucks using hydrogen.

lerlo Level 8 Dec 25, 2020

I doubt new cars will ever again be below 20k though eventually you'll likely be able to find a used electric car for under 20k.

As for the charging stations... I have no clue, but that's a temporary technology. Eventually electric cars will recharge directly via contact with the road. I think it involves collecting a static charge from roads made of a specially designed material. I think the technology exists its just a matter of investing in it. That won't happen until we break the deathgrip Big Oil has on the automotive industry.

Gas cars are still new under 20k. Electric cars are already less than 20k used.

If the Chinese are allowed to import EVs they will start at under $20K. EVs are no good for non stop cross country trips, even if there were enough charging stations, which they're not. I wouldn't buy an EV at this time. I'm in the city and park on the street. I don't have anywhere to charge it. Nobody wants to admit that there could be a near zero emission internal combustion vehicle. The technology is possible. [researchgate.net]
Canada is getting these sometime 2021. Very cheap. Trump has stalled this for the US. [electrive.com]

Chinese have cars less than 10k currently

There certainly are some great choices for an entry level EV. And every new advancement, brings the prices down. But that's just an upfront cost. Besides the environmental benefit, they are much cheaper to own over the long term. Plus there already is an extensive electrical network across the US states. Plugshare or Chargepoint could be a good website to check out for available stations, there are more but that's a good start. Of course planning would be involved but lots of people already have made the cross country trek. There's even some very competitive times put up by Tesla's. Aside from that, stations are becoming more popular, and education is changing the stigma. EV are not for everyone, but they certainly work for me and many others.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:563637
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.