Agnostic.com

2 1

Helping to dispel the myth of Australian democracy:

"Australia’s current metadata retention laws are some of the most intrusive of any democracy in the world. These laws require that telecommunication companies keep records of every single phone call we make and text message we send, as well as a range of other personal data, for at least two years. This data is being quietly accessed over 350,000 times a year by at least 87 different agencies ranging from local councils to the RSPCA. The laws have also been used by police to secretly access journalists’ metadata at least 78 times. The Human Rights Law Centre has been challenging the scope of these laws and calling for significant reforms to safeguard democracy and our right to privacy. The Parliamentary Joint Committee on Intelligence and Security conducted an extensive review of the laws, which have been in place since 2017. The Human Rights Law Centre briefed the Committee, advising that the retention regime lacked important democracy safeguards and was a grossly disproportionate infringement of Australians’ privacy. In October 2020, the Committee handed down 22 recommendations to scale back the regime, including amending the laws so that people’s data can only be accessed by specified security and law enforcement agencies in connection with serious crimes."
2020 Annual Report Australian Human Rights Law Centre

[static1.squarespace.com]

FrayedBear 9 Dec 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Part of me now feels less a lone in the world. That's a lay out of a huge chunk of change but then look when most of America spends it's dollars - more military toys.

The price Australia pays for computer hardware and software may exceed what the US pays for its military.

I would not be surprised. I was always horrified by the absurd insistance (blind indoctrination) 30 years ago for IBM equipment (3 times the price of Chinese clones which mysteriously doubled inprice compared to their cost in other Asian countries) and for Micro(bloody soft in the head)-soft software when there were far more effective programs at 1/10 th. the price. Even prime ministers fawned on Gates and as for the arts sector & their one upmanship with Apple! Words fail me.
You may well be right.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:564269
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.