Agnostic.com

3 6

LINK Each year 1,000 Pakistani girls are forcibly converted to Islam : atheism

R/atheism post with AP News article about Pakistani girls

Hages 7 Dec 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

So what else is new with the religion of peace, love and reason???

If you are born in a country with secular values, consider yourself lucky. Pakistan is an Islamic nation by constitution. Around the time of Zia (the west was so enamored with this dictator), the country turned more conservative with hard-line islamists in the military. The excellent physicist Abdus Salam, a Nobel laureate, is shunned by the Pak govt because he is an Ahmadiya, a sect of Islam that is considered Kafir by the Sunni community.

That is horrific anecdotal evidence, but you'd think an AP reporter would know that they had to reference their statistical claims to be credible.

If roughly 4 million babies are born in the US each year and roughly 70% of American households are Christian, then as many as 2.8 million additional children suffer Christian indoctrination annually.

@Hages I concede that there are some Christian parents that don't indoctrinate their children, although I've never met any myself.

My father had a high profile job so both my parents identified as agnostic, but they didn't believe in God and religion was never mentioned in my household that I can remember except one time when my dad called it "a crutch".

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:564325
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.