Agnostic.com

8 1

Have you progressed beyond lust in your quest to understand beauty?

A 2 minute BBC 4 video.

[aeon.co]

FrayedBear 9 Jan 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

There is more beauty in some music and in some art (like Brancusi's "Bird in Flight" than there is in the feminine form.

[gettyimages.com.au]

[en.m.wikipedia.org]

Bird in Space was the inspiration for a classical music composition by composer Timothy A. Corpus. This work was premiered at the architectural festival Open House Chicago, in which the piece was performed throughout the festival at the Arts Club of Chicago.[8]

The American poet, Muriel Rukeyser (1913-1980) refers to Brancusi's "Bird" in her poem, (1939) and uses this link to highlight the fear we have of embracing the new and non-utilitarian in the arts, and to encourage us to break through an unhealthy mind-set so that we may see the world anew: "...

"The climax when the brain acknowledges the world,
all values extended into the blood awake.
Moment of proof. And as they say Brancusi did,
building his bird to extend through soaring air,
as Kafka planned stories that draw to eternity
through time extended. And the climax strikes. ..."
(from A Turning Wind, 1939. Muriel Rukeyser).

[khanacademy.org]

Do you have a link to music illustrative of your argument?

Beauty is in the eye of the 'beer-holder' 🙂

That would mean waiting until puberty to start developing morality. I think most of us develop the skills to share, not steal and hopefully not hurt others for amusement way prior to that.
But better late than never I suppose!

Link on child development in relation to morality:
[wehavekids.com]

It is a misfortune that most politicians, particularly those elected to office, do not get beyond the "obedience & punishment orientation" & "relativism" as they are working under a party whip system that these days certainly does not allow them to work for the good of those who elect them.

Isnt any study that starts with: "Obedience and Punishment Orientation: The child is obedient because they are avoiding an undesired consequence, and recognize that there are rewards if they do what they are supposed to do. This is the “time out chair” when the child is naughty, and the cookie for being a good child." simply falling into the same error as xtianity of presenting heaven & hell as the two alternatives resulting from non or compliance with stated morality?

@FrayedBear yes, I suppose so in some sense, but in general once a child realises that they are dependent they become eager for attention and to please their parents I think.

But as for for religion: some people see past the dogma of their culture to learn the difference between fact and fiction, don’t they?

When you are young your parents are a main source of information, it takes a while to learn that they are fallible.

Pretty much

Lust in moderation is healthy to get things going. The love and beauty flowers in time, like a rose.

No need to carry guilt or shame of lust like the religious sins. Or I would be running Holly water over me from a hose, all the time.

Looking at your mugshot mate I think that the Niagara Falls would be morr appropriate. But the I should not juge a book by its cover! 😉

Yes...way, way beyond. Youthful physical beauty is transient and what keeps us feeling attracted to a person, even as their bodies outwardly change with age and become less physically attractive, is an appreciation of their inherent character, their inner beauty. A meeting of minds if you like to put it that way.

Some of the most physically beautiful people I have met in my life have also proved to be the least attractive after a closer acquaintance revealed the ugliness of their character.

Never liked Plato's ideals. Ideas can be beautiful yes, but that is no proof of their truthfulness.

As to Physical beauty yes. A couple of years ago I suffered an illness which left me without any sexual desire. ( Recovered now thankfully. ) And I found that my interest in beauty, including the beauty of women, actually increased, because you see it without distraction. I also understand that it is a mistake to think that beauty and sexual desire are linked, in fact some of the plainest women I have known, ( Not always in the biblical sense of known, sadly.) were also the sexiest. While some pretty women I have met, were utterly bland and uninteresting. Beauty is an initial social attractant soon forgotten in the throws of lust.

As far as physical beauty in regards to women? No. Beauty is on the eyes of the beholder though. This video comes across as gay. Gave me the willies.

What do you expect from a Greek philosopher?

@FrayedBear Sounds like a real pain in the ass.

@barjoe more than likely if you have a virgin ass.

@FrayedBear I do and it will stay that way. To each their own.

@barjoe you speak hypothetically. I posted a fascinating movie last night. If you have not seen it I do recommend it for you.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:565417
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.