Agnostic.com

39 6

Has anybody changed careers mid-life?

I was just wondering what your experience was. What career did you move away from, and what career did you move to?
Any advice?

Plainjane 7 Apr 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

39 comments (26 - 39)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

In my early 30's, I made the transition from mathematics teacher to a database programmer.

@Plainjane There are still some students that I would love to know what they are now doing! Seeing their parents, no way. It was a small leap in the sense that I am now with people who are very mathematical/analytical.

I got fired 3 times, and happily took off 6 months each time. I must admit, it was difficult going back to work each time. Lol

@Plainjane I can understand that.. I just tightened my belt and lived off unemployment.
The first time, I got severance, so that made it easy

A couple of times. I went from a decade of dead-end jobs with a useless degree in German literature to English language/literature instructor overseas to freelance indexer.

@Plainjane Generally speaking, it's a career that suits me well; it sometimes depends on the book I'm indexing, though--if it's a boring topic or is badly written, it can be painful. At that point, though, I look around me and notice the absence of educational administrators or other bosses, and it's all good again. LOL

Always remember, when one door closes another opens, just step lightly through life's sands some may be quick sand! With that said you have to take the first step, never look back, for the past will not shed light on the experiences of now or tomorrow. Find something in life that brings you pleasure and comport in doing, pursue it with all your passion and life will provide a way!

Just the expected forced-change of leaving the military, from a straight 10 years of following Army orders, got out and got a degree in MIS and been programming websites/winforms since 2005, and loving it.. had a lot of getting tossed around from job to job, especially around the time Everyone was being laid off (2009) but overall, programmers are highly sought after

I moved back and forth up to my 2nd child at 42. Received my BA in Sociology. No social workjobs-freeze on state hiring whenI graduated. Day care teacher then back to Grad School for Special Education-special ed asst teacher for a year. Worked with special needs kidsfor a year. Career then went to sales, marketing and went that way. Meanwhile my first daughter was born with cerebral palsy. Sales rep career with one year break teaching day care center after 2nd daughter. Back to sales account manager till forced to retire 6 years ago.

I just changed careers this last year at the age of 50. I switched from the print industry to welding and fabrication. My only advice is do what makes you happy, find a career you enjoy.

I worked for a drain cleaning company for 30 years. At 52 I took a diploma in Art and Design, got a distinction, and now I am a full time student, studying Building Surveying and the Environment at the University of Plymouth.
Love it.
I know I'm fortunate to have this opportunity, but, if you can, follow your dreams.

Optical engineer- then went back to college and got a degree in Public health-project management'
Became a health care access manager- wrote grants, managed country wide projects. I loved both careers. One made more money but happenned mostly on dark labs with invisibler lasers. The other required a totally different skill set. Loved it too.

Just saw your post. Yes, I have changed careers three times. I started my work life as a hospital security officer. I evolved into a hospital safety officer. In 2016, at the age of 57 I resigned my safety job and enrolled in an alternative teaching program. I will graduate in May with my teaching certificate and I have been the teacher of record in my 3rd grade class for the past year. I only wish I had done this years ago.

Nah, but I added a second one. Became a yoga teacher and then started a yoga studio. I kept my day job though, lol. Yoga won't pay the bills but I love teaching.

I went from animal medicine to customer service to TV producing. Hope to stay here, but also considering opening a retail store.

I was an extra in the outsiders, mindhunters and last flag flying. But, I don't think my scenes made the cut.. lol

I am a mental nurse, at the age of 42 I decided I needed to enhance my career. I trained as a clinical practitioner and then laterly came into education. I now teach student nurses in university. I love it but part of me still loves the hustle and bustle of the busy clinical acute wards...so now like a complete twit, I do both. It is very tiring but I am not yet ready to give up on my clinical role.

I should have said...mental health nurse

Whats a career....?

Etre Level 7 Apr 13, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:56589
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.